US Doctor's won't fill

C G.
on 4/6/05 1:26 am - Boulder, CO
I had a lap band placed on Feb 18th in Monterrey Mexico. Unfortunately, I found out after the fact that most US doctors won't touch a Mexican band patient for a fill... or even if you have problems. I'm now stuck without any options to get a fill in my band until I can come up with the $1000 it is going to cost me to go back to Mexico. My adivce to anyone is to STAY IN THE US for your band surgery unless you have a lot of money to travel back to Mexico for every fill. The cost alone of the travel to Mexico will eventually add up to the same cost as the surgery in the US and the convenience of having a local doctor.
swilliams
on 4/6/05 1:48 am - somewhere, IL
Maybe you can go to (www)fillcentersusa.com and find a fill Dr. in your area, I did and found a few around my area. I will be getting my first fill on the 15th. S Williams
Joan R.
on 4/6/05 9:24 am - Millington, TN
I have called the Dr's in Memphis and no one would fill. This site says it has someone in Memphis and will tell me who it is for a fee. Are these Dr's on this site? Joan
Lena Kay
on 4/6/05 2:07 am - WA
Have you tried posting for a fill doctor on your state's website on OH? That's how a lot of us find local help.
Maria F.
on 4/6/05 12:15 pm - San Diego, CA
CG, It is very sad that you feel this way but it also very unfair. A person should do their research BEFORE having surgery to make the correct choice. If for you staying in the US and paying twice ( or 3 times as much) what they charge in Mexico is the correct choice, good but for many of us it was not. Have you called your doctor for help? Doctors in the US DO fill for mexican banded patients! Not all , and maybe not as many as we would like but they do fill. There were importent questions you needed to ask your doctor like: who will do my fills in the US? SEVERAL mexican surgeons help you find a fill doctor in the US. Maybe you did ask for the inamed lap band but there are people who come home to find they have a band not approved in the US. Another important question: What band am I getting? Am i getting my lap band card with seriel number? What after care is there available? My advice for anyone considering lap band in mexico is : DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE! Good Luck! Mary Faz Dr Aceves bandster
TTCromar
on 4/6/05 2:52 pm - UT
I have to agree....I find it interesting that you have made such a broad statement about "all" the Dr. in the states. You should have done your homework. A profile to read would be nice too so we could know who you are to validate your statement, at least in our minds. Sorry....but I can't be on your side on this issue. Homework, Homework, Homework t~
C G.
on 4/7/05 7:07 am - Boulder, CO
Interesting how some are so willing to attack me for "not doing my homework". Just to let you know, I asked the surgeon's group about fills and they gave me a list of doctors that they said had agreed to fill their patients BEFORE I had surgery. Now as I actually try to set up an appointment, I find that the list is a joke - and the doctors on the list are not really interested in filling a Mexican Band patient. All this despite my contacting them BEFORE my surgery to make sure it was a go. Now, they say no. I am not fortunate enough to be in a part of the country with LOTS of options. Thanks for the support from those of you who had constructive and positive suggestions, I appreicate it.
TTCromar
on 4/8/05 6:32 pm - UT
Hi C.G.: Your right, I don't know what my problem was that day, but I hope you'll accept my appologie. I was thinking and looking around this web site.....trying to figure out a solution to this delema...have you tried going to the main page of AMOS and then go to the Lap Band boards? It's just a thought to throw in with all the other suggestions. I wish you a lot of luck....sorry for my behavior. t~
Tina A.
on 4/7/05 12:35 pm - FT.Lauderdale, United States
I don't know where in MX you had your surgery, I went to (www)travelzoo.com and found some fights for $500-$600. Try looking around in other states near you. (www)wishcenters.com( I sp right). Their doing fills now, for outside banders. Good luck and no ones perfect. Keep your chin up and don't give up. Tina A
Pamela N.
on 4/7/05 3:19 pm - Denver, CO
C G - Do you have an email that I could possibly contact you at? You can email it to me privately if you want (click on my name to go to my profile then it will have a link to email me). I had RNY done but a lady that goes to my support group is interested in getting the lap band done and the location you had your surgery is one of the ones she has considered. I wanted to find out if you had it done at the same facility and maybe I could pass on some information to her. I would appreciate it if you could - thanks. Hope everything works out for you - wish I could help. Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 432 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views