Heading south alone and looking for support

Sunny L.
on 3/25/05 4:00 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Hi gang--I don't have much posted because I just found this site last week, after fighting for my surgery since July '04. Now I have become a self-pay girl and would never have dreamed of this even 2 weeks ago. Due to my readiness (all testing, dietary consultations, support group, etc.) and getting scheduled only 5 weeks ahead of the surgery date, none of my friends from here can go with me. I am at peace about it, but they are bummed. Today, I felt the flutter of butterfly wings in my tummy for the first time--THE SURGERY IS 4 WEEKS FROM TODAY--and I am going to a foreign country ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am certainly an independent type, but I know it will feel good to come home to the hugs of friends when my 10 days in Ensenada ends. (I have a great family too, but they are in Denver, Okla. City and Vegas) My tentative plan is to stay at Hotel Posada El Rey Sol first night and three nights after surgery and then go to Hotel Marina Coral last 2 nights as a mini-vacation! Are these hotels okay? Is there a better one near the hospital? If you haven't been there, no prob--could you just think of me and send a little love my way? I am soooooooooooooo excited, but just have to admit the bit of fear too! Blessings to you all--Sunny
Amanda
on 3/25/05 4:11 am - Kearney, NE
Are you using Bambi for a ride from San Diego? I would sooooo recomment him especially if you are going alone! He is such a nice man and will lend himself to you for help while you are staying in Ensenada also! Congrats on your surgery date! Dr. A is wonderful - best decision I have ever made for myself!!!!!!
GW
on 3/25/05 4:16 am - Weatherford, TX
Sunny, Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! My surgery was 3 weeks ago today with Dr. Aguirre in Ensenada. Best thing I have ever done for myself. I am already off my diabetes and blood pressure medicines. I am feeling really good - except for the bronchitis I have right now. Nothing to do with the surgery. Coughing sure doesn't feel good though! Anyway, I can't comment on the hotels as I used the apartments. But I too recommend Bambi! Especially since you are going it alone. He will take good care of you and when it is time to go home, he will carry your luggage and take you right where you need to go! He is the best! Keep us posted! You're in my prayers! Genie
DONNA RELLA
on 3/25/05 4:25 am - Uvalde, TX
Wouldn't it be nice if my money came through in time... I could join you in Ensenada. I will be patient though... August is NOT too far away.
GerrAnn
on 3/25/05 5:40 am - Lake Havasu City/Boise, Id, AZ
Hey Sunny Welcome to the South of the Border Site.. I had surgery with Dr. A Feb.1,05 and stayed at both the Posada El Rey Sol and the Apt. I can tell you that I wasn't all that impressed with the Posada.. But the location to all the shopping and the harbor was a plus. I didn't stay at the Coral but went to visit one of the patients there and it is a real nice hotel. I could have stayed there for almost the same price as the Posada.. Some of the girls were able to wheel and deal on the price of the Coral.. The only down side that I saw with the Coral was with the location.You needed to take the taxi to go anywhere in town. Hate to see that you are going alone.. Wish you could talk someone into going with you.. There is nothing wrong with Ensenada, Mexico but being alone so far from home is not a good thing..This is a major surgery and anything can happen.. I was going to go by myself also but was sooooo thankful when my husband was able to go with me... Please rethink that decision.. GerrAnn
Melodie
on 3/25/05 6:53 am - S E, Ok
Hello Sunny and congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I believe you have chosen the BEST surgeon there is and you are in for an awesome and life-changing journey. I had my surgery Oct-2003 and my husband had his the following week so I ended up being there the 1st time approx. 2 weeks and then I went back Oct 2004 with my daughter who also had surg with Dr. Aquirre. Both times I stayed at the Hotel Coral and Marina. I loved it there. Every one was very nice and at least understood more english than I did spanish, so was able to communicate pretty good. I agree that Bambi is also one of the best choices for transportation and he is just a nice, respectable man. We took taxi's when we needed / wanted to leave the hotel. If you find a taxi driver you like you can usually call the taxi service and request that driver. While we were there the 1st time, we used Carlos most of the time; the 2nd time I wasn't there as long and stayed with my daughter in the hospital so didn't use taxi's very often, so just took who they sent. Best wishes, Melodie 300/145
Sunny L.
on 3/25/05 9:54 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Wow--Amanda, Genie, Donna, GerrAnn, and Mel, thank you all for your warm thoughts and great suggestions. I had asked Rosella to arrange my ride with Bambi (thanks to all of the great suggestions I read here!) and look forward to that. I may have to rethink the Posado...I don't really like living out of a suitcase, but would really like to stay close to the hospital for the first 3-4 days out and have the nurse come over to help. As for going alone, I am at peace with it, but keep wondering if spirit may provide someone...my sister in CO has mentioned going but she AIN'T the nurturing type! She was a hardcore district atty for years...but maybe that's what I NEED. Hmmm, that's a thought. My dear friend was going to care for me, but there have been sooo many delays and now she is flying to CA for her first post-RNY plastic surgery consult about the same time. It's just a chance to watch it all work out somehow. Donna, I will pray for your money to manifest itself. Big thanks to all of you for your encouraging words! Sunny (232, -4 already)
Red H.
on 3/25/05 1:44 pm - Lebanon, OR
Sunny, Please try to get someone to go with you. You are right, you are in a foreign country and basically unable to do much for yourself. I would consider rescheduling before going alone. Another thought would be to stay in the apartments and Rosella would know you were alone and she would probably check in on you more often. We stayed at the Hotel Coral. It's a 5 star Hotel. They have room service and you would feel great staying there. I think the price is so similiar to everything else, it was our best option. Lastly, I would definately let those at home know exactly where you are and phone numbers, addresses etc. where they can reach you. This is definately not an adventure that I would personally take alone. I wish you the very best.
rhionan
on 3/25/05 9:53 pm - Lincoln, NE
Happy Dance!! Happy Dance!! Finally a friend to meet in Mexico!! Sunny, I am so glad you will be having your surgery around the same date as me. I am sceduled for April 19th, and I was so sad becuase no one else had posted that they were going to be there around that same time. Now I have a buddy! My mother and I are going to be staying at the appartments while we are there, but I will make plans to check on you and keep everyone here updated on your progress! I look forward to meeting you! See you south of the border baby! Love and hope to you! Tera
Sunny L.
on 3/26/05 3:34 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Hi Tera--I felt the same way when I found you going there! We can be SOB Buddies (South Of the Border, silly****ep hoping that when Rosella comes back from Lake Tahoe she'll suddenly find an apartment for me too. But I am just happy to be headed there--and like you, can't quite get me head around a thin version of myself. But, I will definitely step up to that challenge ! Talk to you soon girlfriend! Hugs back--Sunny
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views