UMMM NOT TO SOUND STUPID BUT...

gogeko
on 3/23/05 3:03 pm - Palmer, AK
IVE SEEN SOME OF YOU TALKING ABOUT AN EPIDURAL. CAN SOME ONE EXPLAIN WHAT IT IS AND WHAT THE GOOD THINGS ARE ABOUT ONE AND THE BAD THINGS ABOUT ONE ARE? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW INCASE IM ASKED IF I WANT ONE OR NOT. THANKS. CINDY, WASILLA ALASKA
TTCromar
on 3/23/05 3:44 pm - UT
hey Cynthia!!! The epidural is done while your asleep or so far out of it that you don't remember it. They take a needle and insert it close to your spine. They then put a tube up your back and over your shoulder. When you are awake and in pain they give you pain meds in the tube over your shoulder. Good Things ~ It helps with pain and doesn't hurt at all when they take it out on day 3. Bad Things ~ Well...sometimes it doesnt' work. It may slip out and then you don't get the medication. There is always the possibilitie that while putting the needle in they put it in wrong and it can cause a sevear headache for several days. But this doesn't happen very often. I think I read it only happened in 4% of patience. I would have one again even thow mine didn't work. i never knew they put it in and i didn't feel them take it out. Also....the medication there doesn't work for pain...so the epidural is your best chance for pain relief. But it's all up to you. I will say that Dr. A will not "ask" you if you want one. He will just give you one unless you tell him you don't want one. Good luck Cynthia t~
Amanda
on 3/23/05 10:13 pm - Kearney, NE
Unfortunately my epidural slipped the 2nd day out of surgery. But, the first day, I had no pain at all. Anytime I felt any they would run in, give me medication in the epidural and within seconds it was gone. I would definately suggest it!!!! From the first day to the second, when it had slipped, was like night and day!!! I wasn't even given the choice, but I'm sure if you told them no, they would respect that!
GW
on 3/24/05 1:39 am - Weatherford, TX
I would say both replies are dead on right! I would do it again, no question about it. I never knew it was there until the put the pain medication in. It sure beats having a shot in the arm, butt, or wherever! I was asleep when they put it in, and awake when they took it out. Didn't feel either one! Genie
y0maria
on 3/24/05 8:21 am - CA
They can also be extremely uncomfortable and cause nausea. I had one 24 years ago and to this day my lower back will occasionally lock up on me because it had "slipped". When you think of all the nerves that are resting at the base of your spine and a long needle having to be inserted there..... However, the greatest percentage of people haven't had any issues or complications with epidurals. I, personally, don't like them!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views