weight restriction

gogeko
on 3/21/05 12:43 pm - Palmer, AK
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THE WEIGHT RESTRICTION IS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OPEN WLS. IM SCHEDULED FOR SURGERY MAY 31 BY DR. AGGUIRE. I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY JOB WONT LET ME RETURN TO WORK AS LONG AS I HAVE A WEIGHT RESTRICTION. THEY REQUIRE THAT I BE ABLE TO LIFT 75 POUNDS. I WORK IN A SERVICE DELI. AND 90 PRECENT OF MY JOB DOENT EVEN REQUIRE LIFTING MUCH. THERE IS STILL A LOT I CAN DO. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE AND FOR HOW LONG. IF ANYONE WANTS TO SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT. THANK YOU. CINDY, WASILLA ALASKA
DONNA RELLA
on 3/21/05 8:13 pm - Uvalde, TX
I know that with previous surgery, the weight restriction was 10-15 lbs. This was for 6 weeks. I am not sure if it is the same for this type of surgery, but i bet it is. Hope this helps.
Debbie L
on 3/21/05 11:13 pm - Western, Pa
I had my surgery in August Dr. Aguirre said I wasn't allowed to lift more than 25 pounds until January. I work in a nursing home as an LPN so I didn't have to much of a problem. Good luck with your surgery and may you have a speedy recovery.
y0maria
on 3/22/05 5:27 am - CA
Dr. Aguirre just told me to be careful. However, I had an incisional hernia repaired on 4-01-04, slightly more then four months after my RNY surgery, where I was opened up the entire length of my original RNY incision. The surgeon here in the States for that surgery said absolutely no lifting of anything for two weeks and then no lifting of anything over ten pounds for an additonal six weeks. Dr. Aguirre will not give you a written weight restriction that will effect your job, that's where you will rely on your PCP, but you should use common sense and make sure you have someone help you lift anything that needs to be lifted for at least two months. I don't know how heavy you are now, nor where you carry the bulk of your weight, but remember the heavier you are the more your muscles, especially abdominal muscles will have deteriorated. I was back to work a week after surgery but I have a management position so was able to delegate anything I didn't feel I should be doing. Good luck on your journey.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views