Blue threads sticking out of incision

KrisInAL
on 3/17/05 11:43 pm - Bessemer, AL
I have had several blue threads that have popped out of my incision site. It really irritates the skin. One pulled right out when I touched it. But, I have another that doesn't pull out easily, so I decided just to cut it flush with my skin. But, my skin is really irritated there. Has anyone else had this problem?
Melissa M.
on 3/18/05 12:02 am - Weatherford, TX
You need to get the stitches out. Don't cut them off. If you can't do it yourself, then you need to go to a doctor & get them out. They will continue to irritate the skin & can lead to infection at the site. I have had several abdominal surgeries, and I am a nurse. Unfortunately I have not had the surgery I most want yet. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Melissa Massey
tamara_b73
on 3/18/05 12:09 am - wisconsin dells, wi
I have one thread that is poking through. I assume that it is from the internal stitches. I tried to pull it out but it was attached so I just left it alone. I was going to ask the doctor about it when I go in on Monday for my 6 week checkup. It hasn't irritated my skin at all though. Don't know what to tell you otherwise. Sorry, Tamara
Molly Mae
on 3/18/05 12:22 am - WA
Hey Kris, I had two of these pesky little guys! One of them just came right off when I was washing it and the other held on for a few weeks. It finally came off one day and was only about 1/16th of an inch long once it came undone. It was quiet disconcerting to me too. Show it to your pcp. I just kept mine flush with the skin and it came out. Good luck to you!!! Molly 252/202/135
Debbie L
on 3/18/05 1:02 am - Western, Pa
I also had a stitch that came to the surface of my incision. I just kept the area clean and put antibiotic ointment on it (took about a 2 weeks but it finally fell out). It would probably be best to have your doctor look at it just to be sure it's not infected.
chunkable
on 3/18/05 1:14 am - federal way, wa
kris i had this same thing. Mine eventually came out on their own. I dond't think we are supposed to get them removed. I think some wiggle their way out on their own when they are healed. If it pulls out easy then don't worry about it. Mine did and I am fine. I never went and had them removed and i think they are there to keep the insides still stiched up Your fine hun if you can cut them i did the same and eventually they came out on their own... Cindy
Melodie
on 3/18/05 3:18 am - S E, Ok
Kris, I didn't have them but my daughter did. It is part of the internal stiches that he uses and eventually it should dissolve or come out. If you e-mail Rosella about your concerns I'm sure she will give you a little extra reassurance. Melodie 300/145
KrisInAL
on 3/18/05 3:21 am - Bessemer, AL
Thank you all! It feels good to know that I am not the only one this has happened to. Now I know that nothing is wrong with anything internally.
TTCromar
on 3/19/05 4:20 am - UT
Hey Kris Lisa can really relate to this. She had several and a few of them got infected and she ended up with a nasty infection. Please make sure they don't get infected or you might end up with a nasty hole in your tummy like she did. Good Luck!!! t~
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views