Protein

lakerskobeb
on 3/16/05 8:06 am - Canton, OH
Hiya everyone, I saw a new primary care physican today who is really nice and willing to help me. She really wanted me to try to get on some type of protein shake now so that I get used to the taste. Does anyone have a suggestion for good protein shakes for the newly post op? I won't to start them in April (eventhough my doctor said I could wait until May if I would like to). I told her that my mom experienced extreme hair loss and she told me that protein could have been a huge problem so I would like to prevent that. I had a few tips like trying whet and other shakes. Thanks Ronda
GerrAnn
on 3/16/05 8:21 am - Lake Havasu City/Boise, Id, AZ
Hi Ronda I am using the Unjury product that many of the post recromended.. You can order it online and they deliver it within 3-4 days.. I took the sample pack with me when I went to Mexico and tried them there.. I would wait on stocking up with protein products because you taste changes so much after surgery.. Seems that one day you love something and the next day you are having problems getting it down.. I am getting ready to try some different products that Molly uses.Also think that Dina mentioned getting samples for someone if they wanted to try the product she is using.. Good luck GerrAnn
Candice E.
on 3/16/05 11:49 am - Lebanon, OR
Hi Guys, I am feeling much better, still alot of pain but I got that under control too. My Dad makes me a protein shake twice daily, I had to get my energy level up. I take Healthywize, vital shake,in chocolate and it is deliciouse, I love them even on ice. Mom and dad didn't waste anytime getting me started on shakes. So far so good with food, the thing that has really helped me is a glass of 1% milk on ice. I have never been a milk drinker, but now I am. the colder the drink the better. I am learning my new tummy,and not pushing it. Knowing when to stop is the key. I have lost 24 pounds. and very happy with that. Its been rough but looking up now. Candice
Debbie L
on 3/16/05 10:50 pm - Western, Pa
Ronda, I have to tell you I couldn't drink protien drinks for the first 2 months after surgery. They made me gag :barf but now I try to drink 2 a day and can actually stand the taste. I buy mine online from bariatriceating they have a really large variety to pick from and most are pretty good. I found I like the Nectar ones and just recently got Proplete banana cream (I really like it) and Elite pina colada. Protien drinks are definatly a required taste most are nasty. Good luck with your surgery and may you have a speedy recovery. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. We sometimes take my grandson to Akron to visit his dad maybe we could meet somewhere. I'll let you know if we do that.
KrisInAL
on 3/17/05 11:36 pm - Bessemer, AL
I still can't drink the protein drinks. I am four weeks out & have found that my tastes have changed alot....but, I still can't tolerate the protein drinks. I eat a lot of protein though to try to compensate. I'll keep trying & hope I will be able to acquire the taste. Pre-op, my weakness was sweet tea (tea with lots of sugar in it for you Northerners). Now, I can't tolerate it. I drink unsweet tea with Splenda & love it. I took a sip of sweet tea about a week ago & nearly gagged. It was way to sweet to me! I am really proud of this change - I thought the sweet tea would be the hardest thing to live without. Good Luck to you.
y0maria
on 3/18/05 7:25 am - CA
Tomorrow will be 16 months since I have had my surgery with Dr. Aguirre. I wouldn't recommend locking in to a protein drink BEFORE you have surgery. Your tastes really do change. Things will taste either too sweet, too heavy, or just plain gross. I never was a fan of protein drinks but when I did drink them I used the Isopure clear drinks. If the flavor needed a little kick I could add sugar-free Kool-aid or Crystal Light to them. Try to get your protein in through eggs, low-carb yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, peanut butter etc. and supplement with a protein drink on those "bad" food days. I am one of the lucky ones and didn't suffer any hair loss like alot of people do, thank goodness because my hair is thin anyway! Best of luck and congratulations on your journey to a healthier, better you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views