comments from ppl about surgery in Mexico

Shelby H.
on 3/15/05 9:24 am - Chehalis, WA
I wish that I would have just kept my surgery a secret but being the type of person that I am I just couldn't and I've ended up letting alot more people know about it than I wanted to just because of my excitement about it. My problem is that everytime I tell someone I'm having this surgery (lapband) in Mexico they make comments. I understand their concerns but to tell you the truth after all the research I've done on this surgery I'm glad that I'm having it done there, they've been doing it longer and are more experienced than alot of US doctors. So why do I feel like I have to explain all of that to everyone who makes a comment about me going to Mexico? How did the rest of you handle those comments? The other thing I'm discovering is that the only people that are supportive of my surgery are the ones who have also struggled with weight problems, I'm finding that people who have never had weight issues can be very judgmental and unsupportive when it comes to this type of surgery, which I guess is something I really wasn't expecting. Shelby
TTCromar
on 3/15/05 9:56 am - UT
Hey Shelby Ohhhh darlin.....there are many of us who can relate to your comments. I for one, started to get angry and felt as if they thought I was an idiot. I finally started to say "don't worry....he's not doing it in the backroom of a restaurant on his break from making taco's." I also, just stopped telling people. It's easier said than done, but try not to let people and their words hurt you. You've done your homework and it's none of their business. Best of luck to you....I hope it gets easier!!
lakerskobeb
on 3/15/05 10:15 am - Canton, OH
OH Shelby, you will learn my flower! I have stopped telling people as well. After my mother basically told me that I will die down there, I just kindly asked her where her doctor (since she got wls surgery done last June) did his residency. She couldn't answer my question, so I just smiled and told her, mom you trusted a man with your life you didn't even know where he got his residency at and you are giving me wls tips..... After that I just shut her up. If you are going to get sick or have a complication, you will have them anywhere in the states or in Mexico. When it's your time to go, I don't think God just picks those only south of the border! Just take it all in stride, because once you have made your decision then the journey is yours for the taking, no one elses. Be firm and satisfied with your decision. God's loving hands spread even across the border! Good luck and congrats on your decision! Ronda in Ohio
KrisInAL
on 3/16/05 3:05 am - Bessemer, AL
My profile has my venting about this same issue! I am one month out and down 19 pounds. I'm still wearing the same clothes, but they are looser. I have had a lot of people at work ask me how much weight I have lost so far & I can tell by their expressions that they think that I should have lost more by now. But, I'm not going to let that get to me. It took me years to put on all this weight and if it takes a year to get it back off, then I am still doing good. I wish I had not have told them. I didn't lose anything for two weeks & I was praying that no one would ask me how much I lost because I was so ashamed that I hadn't lost anything in two weeks. Before surgery I heard all the "Mexico is dangerous", "you're going to get an infection & die", and all that other garbage that everyone else hears. Do I regret the surgery? Not for one minute. I have hope now, which is something I didn't have before. Was the surgery harder than I thought it would be? honestly yes - but still worth every penny & every minute of pain/discomfort. My life gets better and better with every day & every pound gone. When you get back from your surgery, you probably won't hear anymore comments about "dangerous" Mexico - I didn't. People did ask me a lot of questions about the procedure and what I could eat and stuff. You are doing something good for yourself & should be proud of it. Don't let ignorance steal your thunder! Good Luck on your surgery!
klnbaker
on 3/16/05 4:11 am - Gresham, OR
Tell them the operating room has a dirt floor and a donkey tied to the operating table! That's what I told people. And, don't forget to tell them that they use tequila for anethesia! I, too, felt like I had to defend myself and my decision. I guess that's why I came up with my smart aleck answer. Kathleen
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views