self pay and scared???

DONNA RELLA
on 3/10/05 6:27 am - Uvalde, TX
I live very close to mexico and ahve heard many horror stories about docs there. Please give me some good advice on WHO to go to for self pay r-n-y gastric bypass surgeries... and pray for me to get the funds i need. I am desperate to be a loser...
TTCromar
on 3/10/05 6:45 am - UT
Hello Donna: Welcome to the boards!!!! I just had my surgery 1month and 1 week ago. I heard all the horror stories too, but I was desperate and knew there wasn't any other option. Everything I heard must have happened somewhere else, because my experience was wonderful. The people were caring and helpful, the clinic was clean, the Dr's and nurses were professional. I of course would recommend my Dr. in a heart beat, but you have to find out what's right for you. There are many Dr.'s listed on this forum, research each one and which surgery you want to have. We are all here to support each other, so we will always help anyway we can. Don't be a stranger, and keep us posted on what you decide and your journey to the loosing side.
DONNA RELLA
on 3/10/05 6:51 am - Uvalde, TX
which surgery did you have and what was the total time gone and money spent..????
Molly Mae
on 3/10/05 7:24 am - WA
~*~*~*WeLcOmE*~*~*~ Hi Donna! It's me, Molly, I responded to your question earlier today and am so glad you found our forum! There are lots of super people here who have been where you are! I had my surgery with Dr. Aguirre in Ensenada, MX. It is located in Baja California, right below San Diego. It was $10K including everything. Don't get me wrong, you are definately in MX but there are lots of wonderful American conveniences there and lots of American tourists in the downtown area. I am really happy with my decision to go to Dr. Aguirre. Of course I wish he had been in my own hometown but to tell you the truth, traveling to Mexico to have it done added a real element of adventure and excitement to my whole journey. It would have been so boring to stay home, lol! Anyway, welcome. Please pop into Dr. A's patient forum to say hello if you'd like. Don't lose heart, Molly 252/205/135
Molly Mae
on 3/10/05 7:26 am - WA
Oh yeah...I flew out on 12/15, prelabs were that evening, 12/16 was surgery, 12/18 released from hospital, 12/21 flew back home, Then it was a Merry Christmas with a toast of chicken broth and already down several pounds! hehe, Molly
TTCromar
on 3/10/05 8:14 am - UT
Hey Donna!!! I went to the same Dr. as Molly. He is wonderful!! The surgery itself cost 9,400. There is the cost to get there and the hotel or apartment stay, money for a little food, but that's not much, and then anything else you want to buy while there. It's still WAY cheaper than the states and I found that the nurses and staff were just as great as here in the states. Like Molly said, you know your in Mexico cause some things are different, but it's nothing that would hurt your health or well being. Here is Dr. A's web site address - http://www.derivaciongastrica.com/english/ Here is the address to Dr. Aquirre's patient forum. All the people there went to him and there is so many great people who can answer any question you may have. http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/forums/?ID=A-1045621205 Good luck on your quest!!
Carol H.
on 3/10/05 10:27 am - Columbus, GA
I am also in the process of just starting my journey. I emailed Rosella (Dr. A's assistant) on 2/28 and the cost of the surgery, per her email is: "The total cost of the surgery is from $10,900.00 dollars, this includes medical staff and hospital fee." I have told only a couple of people of my interest in going to Mexico for the surgery and so far every single person has tried to talk me out of it. Well, my mother says she supports my decision but hopes that I could find a way of having the surgery in the U.S. I am trying to come up with questions of concerns I have to email to Rosella, such as what if the surgery is cancelled, do I get a refund, or what if there are complications, how does paying the hospital bill work? Any other questions.......???? My plan is to stay in the apartment Dr. A offers but am wondering has anyone gone done to Mexico alone?
DONNA RELLA
on 3/11/05 11:49 am - Uvalde, TX
alone??? are you crazy? Maybe we can go together??? when are you going? I still need to find some cash, but i will. Also what is Rosella's email address. I am jealous. everyone loves her and i haven't spoken to her yet...
Sylvia T.
on 3/11/05 10:48 pm - Pe Ell, WA
Donna, You have no reason to be afraid. There are many cases of disastorous results with surgery in our own country! I had my band surgery on 21 Feb. My doctors were wonderful, well trained and took excellent care of me. I think that you will find a genuiness with staff in Mexico that is not common here at home. I had my procedure done at Hospital Bajanor in Tijuana. Years ago, I had had two cesearian deliveries during fthe ive years that we lived in Guadalajara and knew from those experiences, that I would be well taken care of. Are you set on the RNY? Have you considered a band? In researching I found that patients using the band lose as much over a three year time period as do the RNY patients. The reason I bring this up is that the band is so easy, quick recovery, less invasive, less destruction to the metabolic system and reversible if need be and cheaper. AND complaint patients using the band are losing about 100 pounds in the first year. Since my surgery I have lost 21 pounds and plan to drop two pounds weekly for the first year. My goal is to shed 125 pounds total and keep it off. I had to borrow money for my surgery. I am sure that it will be the best money that I have ever spent (or borrowed). Please respond with questions that I may be able to anwer.
martyp
on 3/13/05 9:36 pm - springfield, VA
carol and donna... i had open rny surgery with dr. aguirre on feb. 17th. i went alone but don't reccommend it unless you don't have an option. i did have some complications which had to do with my own poor health and paid a little extra. while dr. aguirre is ready, willing and able to see his work through at no extra charges, an extra day in the hospital, extra medications, etc. have to be paid for. having told you this, let me say i would do it again in a heartbeat if i faced the same situation. the doctor and everyone at the clinic are absolutely top notch. they are compassionate and unbelievably helpful. in less than a month my blood pressure is down significantly (210/140 to 150/90). my diabetic blood sugar is down from the mid 200's to the 80's. i haven't weighed myself so i can't give you an exact loss but i can tell you i have added two notches to my belt and my pants are falling off. don't let other people make up your mind for you. do the work and see for yourself. it is your life you are saving, not theirs.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views