Yet another question for post ops

GW
on 3/6/05 11:46 pm - Weatherford, TX
I have always had a tendency to retain fluids. But, since I haven't been able to drink anything in 3 days, and no eating, so there isn't a salt issue, why am I swollen? My fingers, hands, arms, even upper thighs are bigger than they were preop. Is this normal? I am drinking now, so will this help the swelling, or add to it? Genie
chunkable
on 3/7/05 12:38 am - federal way, wa
hi genie, the same was with me. I couldn't even move my wedding ring around my fingers were so swollen up with it. I think this is just from all the iv fluids they pumped into you in the hospital. There was a lot of fluid they moved into you and it's going to take some time for that to get out. I think most of us don't drink enough water and fluids as it is. SO for those of us who didn't before hand this is how our body reacts. Do not worry it's normal and the swelling goes away. I felt like a marshmellow for a few weeks even after the surgery and now my ring moves freely and is almost too big. It's just all the fluids i think from surgery. You will be fine trust me. Congrats on being a loser. Even though you feel like a puff ball by the time you get home you will still show some weight loss on the scale. No worries. Cindy
Molly Mae
on 3/7/05 12:42 am - WA
hehe...we type in synch. Great minds think a like.
Molly Mae
on 3/7/05 12:40 am - WA
Hola Genie! Yes! I was bloated too when I got out of the hospital. They pump us full of fluids in the hospital. That is what the clear liquids were that they kept changing the bag to. I know you know all this, LOL! But that is what I think the fluid retention comes from. At least you are not dehydrated and I know you will do better with each passing day now that you are dinking water. Are you going potty a lot too? Hopefullly you will start to pass those fluids. If not, ask your nurse. Good Luck!!! Have fun down there! Molly Mae 252/207/135
GW
on 3/7/05 3:20 am - Weatherford, TX
What a relief! That is what I thought it was, but I just wanted to make sure. I have never had tiny thighs, but now they rub so much more and I could tell they were bigger! Believe me, I don't want or need bigger thighs! I am really not going potty alot, but I think maybe a normal amount. The blood pressure medicine I was on was also a diuretic so I always went a lot. I have not had my blood pressure meds since Thursday so I think maybe I am going just a normal amount. When the nurse came in this morning and took my blood pressure, it was 120/74! It has not been that low in years! And remember, I am not taking my meds! If this is a sign of things to come, I AM READY! Genie
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views