complication question

lakerskobeb
on 3/6/05 8:22 pm - Canton, OH
Hi everyone. I am not scheduled to have my surgery until June 7th, but I am putting together a personal binder full of information and emails and the surgery itself. I wanted to do a section called "complications" In this section I wanted to include possible complications and signs of them. I have some of them such as dumping and things like that. But what other complications are possible? I have heard about Stomea (I might have misspelled this), and I have heard that this is a major complication which requires you to be rehospitalized. What is this? What causes? and What are the symptoms? I have tried to do an internet search on this, but I think I am misspelling it. Are there any others that you all have experienced that may help me along the journey that I can add to my binder? Thanks a lot Ronda
Dinka Doo
on 3/6/05 10:41 pm - Medford, OR
Stricture or stenosis is the narrowing of the stoma - I do believe that might be what you are referring to. I have heard that most strictures take care of themselves over time, but on occasion people cannot even keep water down and they will have to have the stoma dilated. I'm pretty tired & fuzzy headed so not able to expend a lot of energy on the other complications out there but if I think of something and it hasn't been posted by then, I'll try to get back here to add to it. Dina
y0maria
on 3/7/05 10:46 am - CA
You can also get a seroma. Your incision can break over and drain a tremendous amount of liquid from it. If that happens it will take alot longer for your incision to heal. On occasion infection may set in and then there are some real issues involved. I myself ended up with a large incisional hernia. By the time I had it operated on 4 1/2 months after my RNY surgery I looked like I was nine months pregnant! I don't consider dumping a complication but rather a side effect of the surgery. Congratulations on your decision to change your life and best of luck on your journey.
Ruth S.
on 3/11/05 3:48 am - Orlando, FL
HI. I hope you don't mind me answering since this seems to be a general question. The first complication is Death. A heart attack, or surgical error can occur on the table. (sorry to be morbid but this is the reality for all of us). Also a blood clot can occur shortly after surgery if you don't walk. I walked the same day - hours after surgery and you need to walk, walk, walk to keep that circulation in your legs but after a few days - you'll be okay. The clot can travel to your heart and lungs and kill ya. Breathing properly after surgery - you need to be given a breathing apparatus to keep your lungs clear. Mucus can build up and you can easily get pneumonia. Then there are incisional hernias, internal hernias, the stricture (anastoma), fistula (this is when your veins/arties from the old stomach want to attach to the new stomach, though it can happen it's VERY rare). Infections - internal and incisional (drainage in this area is a normal thing). Geez - I think I covered everything I've heard of..and then again - like me you can be complications-free. Some of us are lucky. Strictures I must say are the most common problem. I hope I helped answer your question.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views