WHY not Lap Band?????????

Tina A.
on 2/14/05 10:15 pm - FT.Lauderdale, United States
Why doesn't anyone get the Lap band done in Mexico Why does everyone like or feel more comfortable w/ RNY? Tina
Dinka Doo
on 2/15/05 12:24 am - Medford, OR
I think many do get the lapband in Mexico. I think, however, that most of them spend time on the lapband board than here. As for why choose rny over lap band.....there are varied reasons. Here are mine: 1) I have a hiatal hernia and no surgeon would do a lap band on me because of it. There are many many people out there with hiatal hernias 2) Dr. Aguirre had the most feedback of any doctor in Mexico at the time I was researching the surgeries. I wanted to go with someone that everyone raved about - plus my friend and her sister saw Dr. Aguirre and so I knew personally of people who held him in high regard. 3) I need to be able to dump. I thought I wouldn't need that, but I find I do need that. It keeps me more on the straight and narrow. 4) Statistically those who have the lap band lose *slightly* less weight on average than those have the RNY, and those who have the RNY lose slightly less than those who have had the duodenal switch. This point is what causes a lot of arguments though. I think regardless of which wls you decide to have, if you are motivated, you will be successful. It's just that the RNY gives some built in support for those who are less strong-willed. I don't say this to cause dissention though - these are the statistics quoted to me by Dr. Raul Mirande at his seminar last year in Klamath Falls, OR. It's not my opinion, it's just statistics. I originally considered the lap band but was turned down based on my hiatal hernia. In my journey, I've discovered that God knows best and I've let Him lead me where I needed to be led on this. Indeed, I do feel that the RNY is the best fit for me. Likewise, I feel like the lap band would be best for my friend Shelby who tends toward surgical complications. That and she is a very good dieter, so she would have the will to be in control of her diet. I think each person has to decide for themselves how much help they need. I do believe that each of us has our triggers that we need to cope with. If we are strong willed and just need a little help, a band would be great. Generally I think that the more you need to lose, the more likely it would be that a different surgery might be warranted. Contrary to what we hear, there are some people out there who have been able to maintain a weight loss and even continue losing years out even in the face of major psychological problems. There is one woman I know who started at nearly 500 lbs. She had a Verticle Banded Gastroplasty and the teflon band put in her has provided more long term restriction than for most I know. She does have a large malabsorption as well. She is I think around 180 now or so and despite the fact that she still has eating problems where she continually eats a little too much and of the wrong thing (and throws up frequently), added to that major psychological issues, she is able to maintain her weight loss....due in little part to her own will power. Certainly this is not something everyone will get, and I think her specific surgery happened to be more successful for her than others, but this is why I say that it depends on the person and the level of help they need. I just read a sobering statistic I had heard before but had conveniently forgotten. 85% of bariatric patients will regain 50% of their weight back after 3 years. That scares me and I hope it will keep me in line. Just do to that one statistic, it is something that one should keep in mind when chosing their surgery. None of it is easy for any of us....we still have our work to do. How much work we want to do is the question. Dina
Cheri Moran
on 2/15/05 1:08 am - Big Spring, TX
Hi Tina! Dina posted such a wonderful answer that I hesitate to respond. I know there are a lot of lapbanders out there - they just don't tend to post on this site very often. I think, as Dina said, they post a lot on the lap band forum. At the risk of upsetting someone, I will answer your question about why I chose RNY. I orginally planned to have surgery with Dr. David Syn in Lubbock, Texas before my insurance denied my request. He would only do RNY. He feels it has the higher success rate. According to him it is easy to "eat around a band." He has done numerous revisions from lap band to RNY because the patient had regained their weight. I went to his seminars twice and both times there were lap banders in attendance that were very vocal about being unhappy with the lap band. As a result of these situations, I researched both surgeries and felt RNY was best for me. I don't have anything against the lap band and I know there are a lot of people that have wonderful results with it. I just didn't feel it would work in my case. If you are considering WLS, I urge you to do a lot of research on the various types of surgery that are available. Don't make your decision on what someone else thinks. Write down your eating habits, your emotions when you eat, etc. and see which surgery is best suited for you. You are the one that has to live with the decision so you need to be confident and happy with your choice. I wish you the best in your weight loss journey! Cheri
Nicky R.
on 2/15/05 3:51 am - Northern, VA
Hi Tina, Many people get the lap band in Mexico. Mexico has some of the most experienced lap band surgeons. I am leaving Friday to be banded by Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey Mexico. Please let me know if you have any questions. Nicky
cyn
on 2/15/05 5:05 am - Simpsonville, SC
Tina, I am one of the many who are heading to Mexico to have a Lap-band. I will be banded March 18 by Dr. Ortiz. I agree with many of the posts...You have to decide the right surgery for YOU. For me, the lap band offered a less drastic way to decrease the volume of food that I eat. My sister, on the other hand, chose the RNY. I feel that I will be just as successful as my sister. She wanted to dump, I didn't want to say I could never have a bite of cheesecake again! The other deciding factor for ME personally, was so much of the stats on rny made me feel there was a "window" on losing weight (I might only have 18 months or so to lose my weight and then have about a 5-10% rebound). With the lap-band, I can have adjustments thru out my life to change my level of restriction. Cyndi
Jackie S.
on 2/16/05 2:45 am - Fairview, OR
Lots of people are getting the lapband done in Mexico, including myself and my cousin-in-law who were banded on 1/19/05 by Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali -- especially people who are self-pay, as I was. Not only is it cheaper in Mexico, but they have many years more experience with the band than US surgeons. I put in a lot of time researching WLS options and decided the lapband was best and safest for me. We had a tremendous experience with Dr. Aceves and his team and would recommend him highly to anyone. At four weeks out I have lost 23 lbs and am feeling great. Not a single problem to report. As other responders have posted, lots of bandsters are using the lapband forum rather than this south of the border forum -- as well as other websites that are out there. (lapbandtalk.com for instance) If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can. Jackie S. banded by Dr. Aceves 1/19/05 320/297/160
Jim N.
on 2/16/05 2:58 am - El Monte, CA
I believe the Lap Band is a good option. I believe also that mexican doctors are capable and well qualified for performing bariatric surgery using any of the bands available, specialy the lap band. Such is my personal case in which I got my surgery done at Obesitygoodbye performed by Dr. Verboonen in Tijuana Baja California. Before I decide to take the big step I did quite a huge research about the whole process and the surgeon encharge of my procedure. I found Dr. Verboonen to be well qualified and Inamed approved. I also found no previous complications in any former patient from his group. I have not listened to any malpractice or complaints by anybody that have had their surgery done with Dr. Verboonen's medical group. Honestly, my whole concept about mexican doctors and their procedure changed after my experience with Dr. Verboonen. And by the way, it's been a little more than a month since I got my Lap Band and I lost already 25 lbs.
Jim N.
on 2/16/05 2:58 am - El Monte, CA
I believe the Lap Band is a good option. I believe also that mexican doctors are capable and well qualified for performing bariatric surgery using any of the bands available, specialy the lap band. Such is my personal case in which I got my surgery done at Obesitygoodbye performed by Dr. Verboonen in Tijuana Baja California. Before I decide to take the big step I did quite a huge research about the whole process and the surgeon encharge of my procedure. I found Dr. Verboonen to be well qualified and Inamed approved. I also found no previous complications in any former patient from his group. I have not listened to any malpractice or complaints by anybody that have had their surgery done with Dr. Verboonen's medical group. Honestly, my whole concept about mexican doctors and their procedure changed after my experience with Dr. Verboonen. And by the way, it's been a little more than a month since I got my Lap Band and I lost already 25 lbs.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views