Received Denial 1 Yr Ago Today

Cheri Moran
on 2/14/05 6:34 am - Big Spring, TX
Hi Everyone! One year ago today, my husband and I spent the most wonderful day together shopping and just enjoying being together. All during the day we'd say, "just think after my surgery . . . " It was the best day and special for us since we have to live apart during the week because of our jobs. That evening when we arrived home there was a letter in the mail from Blue Cross Blue Shield. I immediately opened it thinking it was my WLS approval since they had told my surgeon's office that I was approved with medical necissity. I knew I'd meet that as my BMI was 45.9, I had Sleep Apnea, and was looking at knee replacements due to arthritis if I didn't lose weight. Instead of excitement there was a dread as I opened the envelope which was a surprise since I'd never even considered being turned down since they'd already said I was approved. My heart broke when I read the letter. It was a denial. A beautiful day was ruined as I cried my heart out the rest of the evening. A couple of weeks before my appeal was denied I had read a post about surgery in Mexico. Never dreaming I'd go that route, I started researching and got more excited the more I read. To make a long story short, here I am one year from that heartbreaking day, an extremely happy post op! Dr. Aguirre, Rosella, and the rest of the team were wonderful. My life has changed dramatically not to mention I'm 98 pound lighter and much healther. I wish a Very Happy Valentines Day to all of you! Just remember dreams do come true. My hope is that someday this life saving surgery will be available to anyone that needs it. If you are trying to find a way to have your surgery, my prayer is that you will be able to do so! Cheri
Dinka Doo
on 2/14/05 9:42 am - Medford, OR
Amazing how those lemons get turned into lemonade, isn't it? I went through something similar the end of January. I already had my date with Dr. Aguirre scheduled, but someone in my local support group told me they will do the surgery with a hiatal hernia repair by charging the surgery for the hiatal hernia and then charging cash for the rny that remained. Well, the office manager of the doctor's office I was talking to who assured me they could do this wasn't there when I went to the meeting and got shot down horribly. It was traumatic for me because I had been built up to believe it was not only possible, but probable. I was just so hoping to be able to not have to pay out of pocket so much, but in the end it all worked out fantastic anyway. I am very happy with my experience! Dina
Molly Mae
on 2/14/05 11:30 am - WA
Hi Cheri! What a beautiful post. I am *such* an anniversaries person. I am always thinking...next year at this time_____!!! Who knows where we will be! A year ago today, I was 8 months pregnant and 270 pounds spending a couple hours each night on this site gathering information. Now I have a walking, talking, toothy boy walking around the house and at 215 I am actually able to chase him with energy to spare. WOW what a year indeed! Have a happy Valentine's day evening. You contribute so much to this site. Thank you! Molly 252/215/135
GW
on 2/14/05 12:10 pm - Weatherford, TX
Cheri, What a wonderful post! I am grateful that people like you braved the way for those of us to follow. You have inspired and encouraged me and I know that one day, thanks to you and others like you, I will be looking back at my 1 year anniversary and thanking God for all that has transpired. One of my favorite quotes is from Corrie Ten Boom. She said, "Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our life, is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see." I am grateful that He put you and this board in my life. May God bless! Genie
nwlisac
on 2/15/05 2:33 am - Gresham, OR
Cheri I agree, you are a very important member in this message board. Your website is very helpful to pre-ops and you were more than supportive after my surgery, always posting well wishes for me. I think you're awesome. Thanks for always sharing your experiences with us. Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views