Need some advice from Post ops

chunkable
on 2/13/05 1:04 am - federal way, wa
I am now almost 3 weeks out from having surgery. Im still doing the soups and crystal light and stuff like that. Did any of you have a hard time losing weight at this point. I have noticed that since I've gotten home from mexico my weight loss has dramatically stopped. I lose about a pound every 4 days. Is something wrong? I know that because of how little I am eating I rarely have a bowel movement. Is this normal? I never thought that I would be at a pleateu this soon out from surgery. Should I be doing something different? I really thought I wouldn't have any problems losing weight since Im taking in so few calories. If anyone could help that would be great. Is there something I should be taking to make me more regular??? Any ideas from you post op people would be great. Thanks guys Cindy -24 pounds
jarrn03
on 2/13/05 2:04 am - Lebanon, OR
Cindy- 24 lbs in a 3 weeks is awesome! Your weight loss will fluctuate. I noticed mine would around my period etc. Keep doing what you are doing and you'll do fine. Drink your fluid. I am 10 mo out and it has come to a complete halt. I know part of it is my fault because of not exercising and eating more than I had been able to. So this weight loss battle is never ending! Stay positive it will happen! Julie
Dinka Doo
on 2/13/05 3:27 am - Medford, OR
Very very VERY common, Sweetie! I went through a 3 week stall from week 2 to 5. I lost NOT AN OUNCE. I was mortified and freaked out but soon found out that it happens with a large percentage of folks after wls. Thoughts on why: Well, the body is in survival mode for one. You not only just had major surgery which the body takes as life threatening, but you are essentially starving. Two things that the body is going into panic mode over. In order to conserve resources, I suspect the metabolism shuts wayyyyyyyy down. Thus the reason you want to sleep a lot and get tired and weak just when you are thinking you feel so wonderful. I also read and article on hair loss, and they explained this to be the case with the hair loss. It starts at this point when the body is in survival mode. It pulls all resources from non-essential body parts - hair being the most non-essential. So it starves the hair shaft and you start to experience the loss a couple months later. Some lose more than others, but basically how much is lost is determined at this point. Don't sweat the lack of weight loss right now. Expect that it will be this way for a few weeks and if it's not, then it's all gravey from there! Dina
Cheri Moran
on 2/13/05 3:51 am - Big Spring, TX
Hi Cindy! I know you don't want to hear it, but right now the scale is an enemy. It really would be best to have your husband hide it and only let you use it once a week. You will find that the amount of weight you lose will vary a lot. I'm sure once you start eating and giving your body more calories to burn, the weight will start coming off faster. Right now your body is in low gear because it has gone into starvation mode. It knows it isn't getting enough fuel so it is protecting its reserves. Hang in there, you'll be amazed how fast the lost pounds mount up over the next few months. It's not uncommong to have rare bowel movements at first. After all, you don't have much waste. Your body is using everything it is getting and then some. Once you start eating food instead of soup and liquids you'll have some waste to eliminate. Cheri
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views