a couple of gettin' close to leavin' questions...

martyp
on 2/12/05 8:01 am - springfield, VA
1. how did you safely carry and store money while you were in the hospital and later in the apartment? 2. i am going to have to drive an hour from the airport to home eight days after the operation unless something changes. any thoughts?
Dinka Doo
on 2/12/05 11:14 am - Medford, OR
Great questions! I stayed at the Hotel Coral and what money wasn't with my friend Char was in the safety deposit boxes at the hotel. I say this with caution because I don't want to scare anyone, but it needs to be explained because I think some people can be too lax with their stuff. There was one of our state troopers here in Oregon who went down to Ensenada on vacation. I'm not sure what hotel he stayed in, but when he returned to his room one day, there were 2 men in his room robbing it. They attacked upon being caught and the trooper was nearly killed while one of the suspects did die. This was a long time ago (I'm thinking around 10+ years), and I suspect it wasn't typical. However, I have heard others mention not leaving valuables in your hotel room, so I would be careful about it at the apartment as well - especially if no one will be there while you are gone. Might find out who is going to be there at the same time and work a deal for them to watch your stuff. Driving: I would try to find a ride to the airport and then back. I thought I felt good enough to drive at 2 weeks out but found that the muscles you use while steering can cause some tugging. Then I realized that if I did get in a fender bender that I would likely hit the steering wheel and possibly split open. Just not a real good idea, although I know some people are pretty damned stubborn and will do what they like anyway! Dina
cathy.fowler
on 2/12/05 11:50 am - Mesquite, TX
Hi Marty, I think you should discuss with Rosella. Maybe she can keep the money for you........after all, the lady takes care of everything else!! I would not leave it in a "secret" place in your luggage because......hopefully you will be getting some sleep the first couple of days! Good luck---I'll see you there! Also, I asked Rosella about driving earlier and she responded 12 days after surgery????? Can you make arrangements for somone to pick you up at the airport??
gailcatss
on 2/12/05 4:09 pm - Eugene, OR
Marty. First of all JUST a warm wish of the best of everything for you! I went to a totally different town so I'm terrible about Q1! Regarding the driving. Probably it's no big deal to drive. HOWEVER what I've been advised with any of the 4 abdominal surgeries I had...is that it's not the normal drive...it's the EMERGENCY JAMMIN on the brakes or other such swift move that can rupture your new surgery. Just not worth the risk. Horrible as it seems, if you don't have anyone to drive you home--and I bet you can come up with SOMEONE?--then plan on the extra bucks for a driver/taxi, whatever. Why take the chance. Hugs and happy valentine's day! Just think how much your life will probably be different NEXT feb 14th! Gail
Cheri Moran
on 2/13/05 4:12 am - Big Spring, TX
Hi Marty! We carried American Express Travelers Checks for the extra cash we might need. That way if they are lost or stolen they can be replaced. My husband kept the everyday money with him during my surgery. We actually spent very little money while there. We stayed in the apartment and ate all of our meals there so other than the souvioners and a few odds and ends we didn't buy much. I think the suggestion to check with Rosella about keeping it for you is a good one. I'd e-mail her as soon as possible and ask or get her suggestion. I would check with family, friends, church family, and co-workers to see if someone could pick you up and drive you home from the airport. I really don't think it would be a good idea to drive that soon. Cheri
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views