:help: Need immediate post-op travel suggestions

JIMSMOMM
on 2/11/05 3:25 am - Strongsville, OH
Can anyone give me any pointers/suggestions/recommendations as to what to expect about traveling immediately after surgery? I will be having a lap-band on 2/22/05 in Mexico. I will be flying back to Ohio via San Diego (includes one change of planes) Will it be difficult to get bottled water or whatever I'm going to be allowed to consume. Also if anyone has any ideas for me about what we can it the first few weeks, I'd really appreciate hearing from you. I guess I'm getting a little anxious. I'm a self-pay person so I had to shop around for the price but I don't seem to get the impression that you are given enough post surgery diet information. Thanks.
Candice E.
on 2/11/05 3:40 am - Lebanon, OR
Maryann, go into Cheri Moran's web site and it will help you alot. www.cherimoran.com That has really helped me. Candice
klnbaker
on 2/11/05 3:52 am - Gresham, OR
Hi Maryanne I had no problems flying after my surgery. I did stiffen up after an hour of sitting. The doc advised me to get up and move every 45 minutes or so. After surgery I ate yogurt, Cream of Wheat, mashed potatoes, applesauce, soft cheese, crackers, broth from chicken noodle soup. Two weeks out I added scrambled eggs, refried beans, oatmeal. You can find bottled water anywhere in Mexico and at the airport. You might pack some food for the plane ride home. Kathleen
Sandy N.
on 2/12/05 3:36 am - GA
Maryanne, I had lap band surgery in Mexico as well ( in Mexicali with Dr. Aceves). I flew back home 2 days after surgery, stayed at the hospital for the 2 nights there. I can say that 2 nights with pain medicatin, nurse care and recuperating was enough for me to travel with no problems. On my way back I stopped for liquids to take on the plane with me. I also had my pain medication in case I needed it. I can suggest you take very little for you to carry or have wheels on what you do take. Although diets are very similar every doctor has their own. It is important that you get that from your doctor either before or once there. If you get it before you can start shoping around and tasting what you will have so you don't have to stress over it after surgery. The post op care from your doctor ( via telephone, written instructions, diets,support group, etc) is just as important as the surgery itself. The surgery is the 1st step but you will be responsible for making the band work. Make sure you get the instructions you will need to do this! good Luck ! Sandy 292/189/160 Dr Aceves
JIMSMOMM
on 2/13/05 1:12 am - Strongsville, OH
THANK YOU ALL for your valuable information. I just can't get over how total strangers are there to help. I'm by myself and have such a hard time sharing my thoughts and concerns with people that I know and family. I guess I'm afraid people will think less of me or start to critisize my actions. It has meant the world to me, I am just 8 days from surgery (Tue 2/22) and don't plan on being at home until late Friday and following everyones suggestion will pack light which means no laptop. If I survive the surgery and living that many days without internet connection will advise you all of my progress. Please keep me in your prayers and thoughts. God Bless all for your kindness to this stranger.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views