:help: MEXICO-BIRTH CERTIFICATES

cathy.fowler
on 1/31/05 10:28 am - Mesquite, TX
Has anyone had trouble getting back into the U.S. without a birth certificate? A friend was going with me...to make a long story short..She's 62 and when she went to the social security offfice to sign up for her deceased husband's benefits she took her birth certificate. The birth certificate has the wrong first name on it (she didn't find out till she marrried 40 years ago that the hospital had put Loretta on the certificate instead of Joann!!!). The social sercurity person told her they didn't need it since she had other indentification like her social security records and driver's license with her real name. So she left it at that. Now she's telling people she's going to Mexico and anyone she talks to tells her DO NOT under any cir****tance----go to Mexico without a birth certificate and especially with the wrong name on it! Is this a real concern with all the security measures coming into the US?? Please help---or direct me to the right person/office to ask. Thanks you so much!
Diane M.
on 1/31/05 10:41 am - Oceanside, ca
I live in San Diego and go over one of the busiest border crossings and have never had a problem just using my California Drivers license. Diane
cathy.fowler
on 1/31/05 10:45 am - Mesquite, TX
Diane, thank you so much for the quick reply!!! My blood pressure feels like it's going through the roof! I just want this surgery over and to come back home! Thank you so much!
Cheri Moran
on 1/31/05 11:34 am - Big Spring, TX
We carried our birth ceritficates and drivers license. We had to show our drivers license when we came back to the U.S. but they never looked at our birth certificates. I can't guarantee there won't be a problem but hopefully all you'll need to show is your DL. Cheri
cathy.fowler
on 1/31/05 10:44 pm - Mesquite, TX
Thanks Cheri, You are a wealth of information. I don't know how I would even attempt this journey without you! I'm thinking about going my myself so I won't need to worry about eveyone else's problems too! Three weeks to go and I can tell my emotions are in overdrive. Thanks again, Cathy
gailcatss
on 1/31/05 11:55 am - Eugene, OR
WE just went to Mexico on the 18th of January, returned the 25 th through Houston Bush International Airport. Both my dearly beloved and I had to show not only our Driver's Licenses but also our Birth certificates since we did not have passports. And that was going INTO Mx as well as leaving it. This was for Monterray, Mx but perhaps it is different at each border crossing. One of the ladies I met who flew out of Chicago said she had to get something notarized because she just had a copy of her birth certificate, not the actual one. I wouldn't want to take the chance. If she has a certified birth certicate, even with the name difference, she'd best take it.
cathy.fowler
on 1/31/05 10:46 pm - Mesquite, TX
Hi Gail, thanks for the reply. My friend is going to try to get a passport and elimate the need for the birth certificate. We'd rather clear up the confusion in Dallas instead of Mexico!!!!!!!!!!
chunkable
on 2/1/05 4:29 am - federal way, wa
i just came back yesterday from surgery and when we got to the border they want your drivers liscence and asked us if my husband and I were us citizens and we said yes and he let us go. I brought my birth certificate but never needed it.. Cindy
Cheri Moran
on 2/1/05 12:18 pm - Big Spring, TX
Thank you for such nice comments. I hope I have been able to help and reassure you in some way. I hope your friend will be able to get everything straightened out. I really think it is important to have someone go with you if at all possible. I know some go alone, but I don't know how they do it. I can't imagine having to do everything for yourself. My husband was so good to bandage my incision, help me get my binder on, etc. But most of all his moral support and companionship were important. No matter how easy the surgery is for you, it is still a shock to your body and your emotions go through a lot of highs and lows. It really helps to have someone there to talk to. I'm still praying for you and wish you the very best as you get everything ready to go. Hang in there, everything will work out! Cheri
kly
on 2/1/05 12:54 pm - Athens, GA
Best Wishes to you !!!! My husband and I came across the border on Dec 29th and used GA driver license without any problems. (Note: This was by car, the airlines may be different) Karen Dr. Aceves Lap RNY 12/20/04 314/258
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views