Hi, I'm new here

Melissa M.
on 1/27/05 9:47 am - UT
I've been reading posts for the last few days. You all are going to make me cry. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find the money for this surgery. Probably like some of you, my insurance won't cover it. I'll introduce myself a little bit here. I'm a single parent of two beautiful girls without the support of anyone. I can't do a loan b/c bad credit history and don't have a home that I can use to refinance. I will be getting like $5,000. back from tax return and I don't know how I'll get the rest of the money. It's so hard b/c I really need/want to have this surgery. I at first thought it would be impossible b/c the high cost here in the states and then I heard about Mexico. I so wished that I could just have the surgery tomorrow. It seems like one struggle after another and today I just want to cry. I want to cry b/c I'm happy that some of you here are having/or just had your surgery and you are on your way to better health/less weight and I want to cry b/c I feel like I'll never be able to have my surgery done. Anyway I have more to say but will save it for another time. My 15 month old is trying to help me type this so I need to spend some time with her. Congratulations on those of you who have recently had your surgery. And good luck to those of you who's surgery is coming up soon. Melissa
TTCromar
on 1/27/05 10:52 am - UT
Hello Melissa.. I'm so glad your finding support here on the boards... I've been trying to get financing for over 5 years. Like you, my insurence wouldn't cover it. I feel your pain sweety!!! I cried as I read your post. I wish I could give you the money and bring you down to Mexico. All I can tell you is not to give up!!!! Put that money from this years Tax returns into a account so you don't touch it and just keep praying that more money will come into your life. Stay here on the boards, create a profile...both of these will give you the support to not give up and keep the hope. Hang in there sweety and you know we'll keep you in our prayers and if you need to talk, I'm always here for you!!!
Melissa M.
on 1/28/05 12:48 am - UT
Tamie, I sent you a personal email. Thank you so much for your words and your support. I feel a little bit better. It's also wonderful to know that you live so close to me. I can't wait to get together with you sometime. Take care. Melissa
Cheri Moran
on 1/27/05 11:08 am - Big Spring, TX
Hi Melissa! I wanted to welcome you to the South of the Border Forum! We are glad to have you. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. I'm sure it is tough for you under the cir****tances. I just wish there was some way the insurance companies had to pay for weight loss surgery. I would encourage you to save as much of your tax refund as you can. Maybe between this year's return and next year's plus the interest you would earn on it if you put it in a savings account or certificate you would be able to afford your surgery. I wish you the best. Cheri
Melissa M.
on 1/28/05 12:54 am - UT
Cheri, Thanks for your words. I had also thought about using next years return with this one. I just don't know if I can wait that long. I think it would drive me nuts. I may have to wait if I can't find the money before then. I agree with you about insurance companies. I wished there were a way to change the law and make them pay for it. I know in the long run insurance companies end up spending less money because after people have lost the weight they are much healthier and thus need less visits to the Dr. etc. Gee maybe I should get into politic and try to change the law. Well not get into politics, but I would love to be able to change the law. I have no idea how to do that though. I am going to keep this years return in an account that collects interest so hopefully with that and if I work extra maybe I can come up with the money in 8 months or so. I hate to work more because my girls just have me, but I am not sure what else to do. Thanks so much for your support. Melissa
Red H.
on 1/27/05 1:33 pm - Lebanon, OR
Hi Melissa, I just read your post and my heart goes out to you. Instead of crying, make a written plan of action. Find 3 people who are 20 yrs older than you are. Very wise successful people. Tell them your dream and ask for advise on how to make your money grow for this surgery. Email the doctor of your choice and tell him your plan and get your prices on surgery. Divide the balance of money needed into the amount of months you might wait for surgery and find a way to earn that much money a month. The time between now and your pending surgery will give you a chance to grow and learn. Believe me, it is well worth the wait. And the support you will get in this forum is wonderful. If you keep your eye on your goal and do something towards it every single day, you will make it. Bless you. Kay
Melissa M.
on 1/28/05 1:04 am - UT
Kay, I like your idea on making a written plan. Finding 3 people 20 years older and wiser than me may be a problem, but I'll work on that. Most of the people I know who are older than me are in the same boat as me. I'll talk to my mom and family and friends to see who they know that perhaps could help me out with this plan. You sound like a wise person yourself. I had not even thought about everything you've said. That's a great idea. I'll work on that later today when my little one is sleeping. I have a question - do you know anything about possibly investing some of my tax return to see if I can bring in extra money that way? I've never done anything like that before. Thanks for your ideas and support Melissa
Melissa M.
on 1/27/05 10:42 pm - Weatherford, TX
Hi Melissa. We have alot in common. My name is Melissa M, too. I also have insurance that won't cover WLS, & am looking at Mexico. I am so frustrated I submitted a proposal to the Oprah show explaining the struggle so many of us are having! Of course I've not had a response, but I felt a little better for the chance to vent. Remain hopeful & know we are with you. Melissa Massey
Melissa M.
on 1/28/05 1:11 am - UT
Melissa, That is kind of funny that we both have the same initials. I also do know someone with the same last name as you. Do you happen to be related to a Yvette? A long shot I know, but sometimes it's a small world. You what else we have in common. I had thought about submitting a proposal to a talk show, but I never did do it. I thought that I'd never get a response. Thanks so much for your support. It means so much to me to know that others understand and are going through the same things as I am. I am feeling better about things today. Thanks again. Melissa
chunkable
on 1/29/05 12:31 am - federal way, wa
melissa try medicredit.com that is who i got my loan through and i don't have the best credit either. They let me do a co-signer which helped me get a 7500.00 loan through them. you wouldn't need that much and even with my bad credit i got 5,000 on my own. good luck hon. Cindy 3 days post op and still in ensenada
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views