WLS in Mexico

MomZombie
on 1/18/05 7:22 am - North Charleston, SC
I am researching WLS in Mexico, (just in case I don't get approved by my insurance) in particular with Dr. Aguirre. I have heard and read many wonderful things about Dr. Aguirre so that is not what I am wondering about. What I would like to know is this: 1) Did anyone stay at the apartment that Rosella mentions in her emails? 2) If so, how was it? How was the care after you left the hospital and were in the apartment? 3) How was your pain managed while you were in the hospital? After release from the hospital, but still in Ensenada? 4) Did you fly into San Diego? 5) How did you get to Ensenada once you got to San Diego? 6) Did you fly straight home after you left Mexico or did you stay over in San Diego and fly home the next day? Any other information would be much appreciated. Thank you so so much. Nancy
cathy.fowler
on 1/18/05 8:39 am - Mesquite, TX
Hi, Nancy. Go to this web site: http://www.cherimoran.com/ I've researched and have a date set for 2-22-05----but w/o Cheri's website, I would be lost!!! Good luck on your journey! cf/
Cheri Moran
on 1/18/05 12:41 pm - Big Spring, TX
Hi Nancy! I'll try to answer your questions. 1) Did anyone stay at the apartment that Rosella mentions in her emails? Yes, it is a very nice place to recuperate. There are pictures we took on my web site. We stayed in apartment #1. A lot of the patients stay there. 2) If so, how was it? How was the care after you left the hospital and were in the apartment? Dr. Aguirre and Rosella have done an excellent job of providing a very nice place for his patients to stay. I got out of the hospital at noon on Saturday and had the home nurse come in on Sunday and Monday. She helped me with my shower, checked my incision, bandaged it, checked for any problems, and reported to Dr. Aguirre. She was very sweet. Dr. Aguirre came by one day to see how I was doing. Rosella checked on me every day. They give you a cell phone so you can contact them if you have any problems. 3) How was your pain managed while you were in the hospital? After release from the hospital, but still in Ensenada? Dr. Gomez used an epidural for pain medication. It worked great! I had no nausea which was great since anesthesia normally makes me thorw up. I didn't need any pain medication after the first 18 hours. I had almost no pain. I'm still amazed. Dr. Aguirre gave me a perscription I could have had filled for pain medication but I didn't neet it. I felt so good I walked about a mile and a half on Wednesday after having surgery on Thursday. 4) Did you fly into San Diego? Yes, we flew into San Diego. 5) How did you get to Ensenada once you got to San Diego? Bambi met us at the airport and drove us to Ensenada. I highly recommend using him. 6) Did you fly straight home after you left Mexico or did you stay over in San Diego and fly home the next day? We stayed in Ensenada until all of my staples and tubes were removed because I was going to be seeing a new PCP when I got home and I didn't feel like it was fair to expect him to do the above. We arrived on May 5 and left Ensenada on May 14. We spent the afternoon and evening of May 14 sightseeing in San Diego. We flew home on May 15. If you want to read about my surgery story, you can go to my web site and click on "My Surgery Story." "Journey to Ensenada" has a lot of information you might find interesting and has pictures of the apartment. You can click on the www tab at the bottom of this message. Cheri
MomZombie
on 1/18/05 8:24 pm - North Charleston, SC
Thanks again Cheri. It means alot to me that you took the time to answer all my many questions. I will check out your website. Nancy
sue_f
on 1/18/05 3:53 pm - Portland, OR
Hi Nancy, I had surgery in Ensenada in December. I stayed in apartment #2, but it does not have the nurse and is less expensive. The furniture is not terribly comfortable either. I would recommend trying to get #1 and spend the extra money. I stayed about 8 days and flew home right away.
MomZombie
on 1/18/05 8:28 pm - North Charleston, SC
Thank you too Sue. If I go, I will take your advice and get apt. #1. I am getting excited just reading these posts. I hope that all is well with you and that you are healing fine and having no difficulties. Take care, Nancy
Dinka Doo
on 1/22/05 2:58 am - Medford, OR
I flew into San Diego and we stayed the night in San Diego before leaving for Ensenada the next day. In retrospect I would rather have just gone directly to Ensenada. I was more comfortable in Ensenada than I was at the motel in SD. We took the ride with Bamby down and back. I figured out the cost and really with how much he spent in gas alone, it left him with very little profit for spending the whole day driving. He was invaluable and I was so happy we went with him. He was just a wonderful as everyone says. Bamby picked us up the day we were flying out and took us to SD. He will stop wherever you want/need to. He will stop frequently so you can get out and move your legs. I am glad I didn't stay the night in SD on the way home because for one, Bamby will load your luggage for you which you need help with after surgery (DON'T PU****!). The cab driver we had in San Diego was a class-A jerk. Was less than impressed. And it is so much better to have to load/unload as little as possible. As for the pain, Dr. A gives you instructions to get Supradol for sublingual after surgery. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflamatory like Advil is, but taken sublingually it's supposed to be okay for right after surgery. I recommend buying this before you go into the hospital. I had great pain management in the hospital and in fact really felt nothing but pulling on the incisions. I didn't take anything when I got out of the hospital. I didn't feel much of anything except, like I said, pulling on the incision/staples - esp when I sat down. I needed nothing really and in fact only took a Supradol sublingually on my way home when my shoulder was tweaked out. Dina
GerrAnn
on 1/22/05 3:09 am - Lake Havasu City/Boise, Id, AZ
Hi Dina, Thank you for all the last minute advice... I know that many of us will still have a million questions, and wonder if we got it all as we leave for Mexico. I was worried about pain medicine with the 6 hr trip home,and now know that I will get that Supradol stuff!!! Thank you... I will be traveling home by myself. Will I pass out in a seat somewhere and miss my plane if I take this stuff?? Don't want to do that...lol Really interested in your protein suggestion.. Might just get some to try. I tried to use your link to Dr. A's site and it said Error.. If you think of any last minute suggestions let us know. I leave on the 30th of Jan for my surgery. Tracy and Cindy will be the pro's by that time and they can fill me in!! GerrAnn Feb,1,2005
Dinka Doo
on 1/22/05 1:52 pm - Medford, OR
GerrAnn - The Supradol is the same as Taladol in the US. It isn't a med you want to stock up on because in the US they really only give it to you in the hospital. It is very effective, but you can't take it for a long period of time without risk of liver damage. That's why it's not generally prescribed in the US. It will not, however, cause you to go loop-de-loop and fall asleep and miss your plane though. It's much like Advil is - what is called an NSAID. We are generally not supposed to take NSAIDs after surgery, but Dr. A. said this was okay for taking sublingually (letting it melt under your tongue for those who aren't sure what that means). I would still err on the side of caution though. I didn't take it at all and didn't feel the need to, but I wouldn't take any more than he advises (can't remember how much he said...) Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views