Need help finding MX docs who do lap RNY

Jenny B.
on 11/27/04 1:23 pm - Cary, Jamaica
After looking into this for two years and struggling back and forth, I have decided to do it. I am self pay, and feel that Mexico is a viable choice for me, but here are my questions: Who in Mexico does *lap* RNY? It is very, very important to me that I have it done laparoscopically, and I am not large enough that it should be a problem. What is the total cost I'm looking at with lap rny? I can figure out the airfare, but realistically, how much will I need to spend? I am refinancing my house as part of a divorce settlement and plan to include the cost of the surgery in the mortgage, so I really need to know about costs I might not have thought of. Thanks much!
L C.
on 11/28/04 5:08 am - South Jersey, NJ
I am having the lap band done by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, MX and it is $8200 (not including airfare) total. Airfare can run between $230-$400 roundtrip depending on the airline. I hope this helps.
kly
on 11/28/04 10:44 am - Athens, GA
Hi Jennifer, I am having Lap RNY with Dr. Aceeves on Dec 20th. His cost is 12,500 includes everything except airfare. He requires you to stay for 7 days, but I am going to stay for 10 just to be safe, so I will have to pay an extra 70 -80 a day for hotel. Email Nina his coordinator and she can give you more info. His website primarily talks about Lap Band but he does both. He is just over the CA border near El Centro, CA www.mexicolapband.com [email protected] Feel free to email me for any other info. I have also researched a few others in Mexico for lap RNY I can give you their names also. Best wishes, Karen L.
Jenny B.
on 11/28/04 3:51 pm - Cary, Jamaica
I was hoping that Dr. Aguirre does lap, since I've heard such great things about him. I emailed him last week but have not received a response. I thought that was strange, since people say he responds so quickly. Maybe I need a different email address? Jennifer
xJoellex
on 11/28/04 11:18 pm - Belcourt, ND
Hi Jennifer~ I don't think that Dr. Aguirre does lap, he only does open. But he does seem like a great surgeon from what I gather on reading everyones profiles who have gone through him. I think if you go to his website, they don't have his updated email address in there. I do have Rosellas e-mail address though. Rosella is his assistant. I can't remember his e-mail. Here ya go: [email protected] Try that. Good luck!!
Dinka Doo
on 12/4/04 7:00 am - Medford, OR
Jennifer - Dr. Aguirre only does open. The reason you may not have received a response yet is that sometimes the mail doesn't go through with some services. I have no idea why, but they can receive mail from AOL addresses but cannot respond to them. They just don't go through. It has nothing to do with the spam folder either. If you don't have AOL you might have another provider that is blocking them. I would recommend calling his office after 6:30 pm to talk to him. The receptionist doesn't speak English, but if you ask for Dr. Aguirre she will put you right through. As for going lap, I initially wanted to go lap also, but after I resolved that I would see Aguirre, I realized that there are some advantages with going open. Each surgery has it's specific benefits, and the benefits of going open are that the doc can really get in there and see and *feel* exactly what is going on without having to rely on a camera. Yes, some surgeons are spectacularly adept at lap, but just stastically you will see fewer people get leaks and other such complications when they are done open. Good luck to you - I hope you find the right help in making your decision. Dina
Bobbi G.
on 11/30/04 6:19 am - Anchorage, AK
Hi Jennifer~ I just returned from Monterrey, Mexi****onnection thru Dallas airport) on Sunday. I had lap Band surgery last Thursday by Dr. Roberto Rumbaut. He also does lap RNY. The lap band surgery with Dr. Rumbaut cost $11,000, whi*****ludes everything: preop testing, hospital, surgeon fees, ground transportation, 2 nites at the Hampton Inn, etc, etc. I am sure his fees for lap RNY are also competitive. I am curious as to why you chose RNY rather than Lap Band, with such a low BMI? I knew next to nothing about lap band surgery until I started researching on Obesity Help, as it has only been approved in the US since 2001. Even now, I am only one of 3 people I know in this community who have had lap band, but I know a bunch who had RNY. I am surprised that more bariatric surgeons are not offering all of the alternatives available for weight loss surgery. All the best on your weight loss journey! Bobbi
Jenny B.
on 12/3/04 2:16 am - Cary, Jamaica
Honestly, I don't want the lap band because I hear so many people talking about only losing 35 pounds, or being able to eat the amount they did before. The RNY will permanently change the amount of food I can eat - no ifs, ands or buts about it. I feel like that's what I need. Plus, the whole filling issue concerns me. I don't feel that I can reasonably fly to Mexico to get fills, and I don't know who in the world would do it here in Jamaica. I am open to learning more though. Can you give me a good website for it? Jennifer
Bobbi G.
on 12/3/04 4:24 am - Anchorage, AK
Hi Jennifer~ here is Dr. R's website. http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/index.html He can also be reached directly at [email protected] All the best! Bobbi
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views