Dr. Aguirre's Patients

S. W.
on 11/1/04 4:24 pm - MN
Hello all...I am scheduled for Nov 25 with Dr. Aguirre...I am posting to find out if anyone has had a bad experience with this doctor... my decision to have this surgery with this doctor was because of all the positive feedback I have seen on this site...I would also like to know what I should pack for the trip... I plan on being in Mexico for 8 days... and I am traveling alone...so any advice would be most appreciated Thank you all...and keep similing
Tim H.
on 11/1/04 11:00 pm - Masaryktown, Fl
In short you have nothing more to worry about by seeing using Dr A in mexico than any surgeon you might use here in the states. Personally I felt more comfortable with him and the staff at Cardiomed than any medical facility or personell I have had in the states. All that being said let me share a few things to possibly help you out. Being alone is going to present it's own problems. But still you should be fine. Are you staying in the apartments? My big questoin is if you are alone how do you plan on moving your stuff around? Other than that it should not be that big a deal. Also any questions or concerns are dealt with quickly by Dr A. I had a slight fever on day 5 post op. I was so concerned. Dr. A actually came out to my hotel sat with my wife and I and put all our fears to rest. It appears that I went for too long a walk. I was feeling great and needed to get out so we went shopping. Well I guess 4 hours of walking around was a little more than I should have done. Whe you cross the boarder into Mexico you will note that you are no longer in the USA. Driving into Canada seems like no big change but everything there is different. When you get to Ensenada you will still realize that you are in a country that is not your own but it is a nice place. When you get to Cardiomed you will take note that it is a very small Hospital. I think there are 4 private rooms and one 8 bed ward. IT is small but very very professional and well equipped. The hospital is very clean and very calm. The nurses all seem happy to be there and don't gripe about things like nurses here do. Things to pack: Well when you first get there I would go to the Gigante and get some of the pan toastada that Dr A recommends for post op. IT is like dry stale toast but it was comforting to my stomach that got a littlle queasy after surgery for a few days. PAck light. You will not need much and afterwards you will not be able to lift much. We stayed at a hotel so we brought an electric tea kettle and with it I made sugar free jello. It was good for the pouch as well. I also had instant grits. Loose clothing is a must Also if you are a woman ( I am not) you should be prepared to start your period while there. I will leave this to the ladies here to explain it but it is my understanding that most begin shortly after surgery bno matter where in thier cycle they are. Prior to surgery go to a pharmacy and get your pain meds that Dr A perscribes. Go to at least 2 different pharmacies. My wife went to one and they told her it was special order and would take a day to get and that it was like 40 dollars. She went directly accross the street and it was instock and like 17 dollars. In mexico if you don't like what you hear then go to someone else and they will likly take care of you. If yo take a cab trust me decide in advance how much for the ride and don't be affraid to stand firm on your price if you know it is fair. For example first day to the Dr office and hospital it was 6 dollars. The next morning it was five (same trip) that afternoon home the dude took my wife alone and She told him upfront 4 dollars. He said 5 was standard. So we went with that and the one time we jumped in without pre arrangeing it was 7 dollars. I tis easier to argue price when they stand you saying know. I know it is only a few dollars but still it is principle. Also on the packiing front I had those socks with the little grip pads on the bottoms and they were great. Hope some of this helped Tim
j E.
on 11/1/04 11:04 pm - Northern Michigan, MI
I would not describe my experience as "bad", but I have to admit after reading so many positive experiences my expectations were REALLY high. I am a little over 2 months post-op, and I have no doubt that Dr. A is the very best surgeon doing this surgery, I have had NO complications and I'm down 50 lbs. I feel and look very healthy. But to answer your question, I think the year of 2003 was the best year to be his patient. I think he is now very very busy and does not give the attention he was able to give early on when he first started to get busy. You should also know that the waiting room in his office was scarey to me, it seemed dirty, he has a picture of Latrisha in there, and it brought me comfort. Don't get me wrong, he is a great surgeon, and a pretty nice guy...but things are different than described in older profiles, and there is NO AFTERCARE once you get home, so be sure you do your homework and have a doc lined up for the aftercare. As for what to bring... lots of profiles have lists, you will have to surf them to see, or go to the forum board and ask for names of profiles that have the lists. I found the spanish to english translations books were so helpful after my surgery, there is a male nurse named Gilbert, and he was very helpful with translation. I learned "mucho pain" and they understood. Good Luck to you, try not to be afraid, but go with a open mind, and you will be fine, my mistake was thinking this guy was going to be "god"..and he's not he is human, and a great surgeon. Jen
Tim H.
on 11/2/04 5:58 am - Masaryktown, Fl
My surgery was August 9th. I will mention that he is busier than he was but way more available than american Doctors. I had questions and he took time to answer them. He is also very committed to his family. Some of his business is because of that. I promise you, you will be uneasy at first as things there are different but it really is a great hospital and great staff. Gilbert is the best. He used to be a nurse in San Diego. He went back for family reasons. Hope all goes well, Tim
S. W.
on 11/3/04 8:09 am - MN
Tim you have been most helpful... Thank you for your time and consideration on your reply to my post... I am just getting anxious now and I hope that things will all work themselves out as far as the time I am spending there it will be 8 days and I am afraid it will drag...hope it will be over before I know it... --S.
tallen
on 11/3/04 1:01 pm - Farmington, NM
Hello! You will be just fine! Dr. A and his staff are wonderful! I had my surgery there July 14th, 2004 and have had no complications at all. I went back to Ensenada the end of Sept. so my brother could have the surgery and he is doing great also(he's lost 45 lbs)! I've lost 71 lbs and so far I'm feeling great! My brother takes his wife to Ensenada Nov. 12th for her surgery with Dr. A. I would go back in a heartbeat! I hope you are staying in the apartment! Rosella will check on you often. She is a sweetheart! Keep your chin up and don't get too nervous about it...you will be just fine! You are welcome to read my profile and if you have any questions please feel free to email anytime! God Bless you on your journey! Tracy Allen 333/262/160ish
Donna K.
on 11/6/04 11:29 am - Lake havasu city, AZ
As far as getting the meds you need after surgery, Dr. Estrella had the receptionist call the pharmacy and they were delivered to the hospital in about 30 minutes. I paid her after they were delivered, I think they were about $15. These are sublingual pain meds for after you go home. Good luck to you.
Cheri Moran
on 11/12/04 3:11 pm - Big Spring, TX
Hi S. Waiting! It won't be long until your on your way to a whole new life. I had my 6 month anniversay last Saturday. I agree that you might be a little uncomfortable at first because things seem so different from the US. It doesn't take long for your fears to go away. The nurses are very helpful and can't do enough to help you. The surgery suite is very modern. I had no complications what so ever and I've felt great. I wish there was someone that could go with you as it really helps to have the moral support and someone to help with lifting, nursing, etc. I wish you the very best I know you will be very happy with Dr. A and his surgical team. Cheri
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views