The long, frustrating story of Robin H.

StellaNut
on 10/16/04 4:22 am - Auburn, WA
The Robin H. Story.... About 3 or 4 years ago I was discussing with a friend that just had WLS about the pros and cons, doctors and price. She mentioned a price tag of 35K. I mentioned that would be out of my ballpark, and then she mentioned, "Well, how's your gallbladder? If it is bad, coordinate the surgery and it will pick up the hospital stay; a large portion of the bill. I know a number of people that have done this." Well, I think about it, and I don't do anything as I never had any gallbladder pain. Flash forward 3 or 4 years.... I am seeing commercials for the lap band; I know an acquaintance that had it; and my sister-in-outlaw is a WLS dietitian at a Cali hospital. About this time, I make a fattening breakfast of bacon and butter-dripping biscuits and then spent the next two days holding the couch down. Ultra sound showed that I had one large stone. I was ready to coordinate the 2 surgeries and I had my PCP refer me to a local WLS doctor that I had researched. I met with him and when I mentioned that I was referred to him for my gallbladder "and why you are in there..... let's do a lap band. Same incisions, it only makes sense." He said, "That's a smart way to do it." I get a surgery date right then of only 3 weeks. I complete all the testing, EDG, shrink, dietitian, registered with hospital. I pay the surgeon and assistant surgeon fees.... All of it! Then, black Thursday happened.... Everything changed 4 days before surgery.... On my 50th birthday no less, at 8am in the morning, I had a pre-op appointment with the hospital, but first they route me to the cashier's office. I was told I had to pay for the lap band hospital stay and that would be 12K, no personal checks and must be paid today and before you leave this morning! She was so in my face, and she didn't have to be. When I said that my insurance was paying for the hospital for the removal of my gallbladder, I was told it was a 'pay per procedure' policy! Two procedures mean I get to pay for the hospital, anesthesiologist, bed, bandages twice!!! That is what it means. Has anyone experienced this before? I have no clue if it is a universal hospital policy or just this group of Franciscan hospitals. So, needless to say, I was absolutely devastated. I cancelled my birthday. No birthday this year. I wonder what Monday, the 18th, my scheduled surgery date, will feel like. The doctor said, "Well, you still need your gallbladder out, let's do that." I say no way, Jose. I get cut only once and I pay the hospital only once. I'm on my journey to see what south of the border has to offer. I'm hoping I won't have trouble getting my medical records from the WLS doctor to use when I go south, that maybe my gallbladder will expedite things along. Wish me luck and feel free to share your thoughts and experiences... I think I'll post this on the lap band board just to get some information flowing.... Thanks for listening Robin H.
Tomeka J.
on 10/16/04 4:44 am - Detroit, MI
RE: SLOW BOARD Response from Mary R at 9:46 AM PST on 10/16/2004 Shady Side, MD Hi Robin- I read your story let me see if I understand it....you were going to Mexico for surgery but now that insurance will cover the gall stones you can stay local? Hmm, did you know you had the stones? I was flat told no they didnt do anything with WLS by my insurance company....Good luck to you either way!
Tomeka J.
on 10/16/04 5:03 am - Detroit, MI
Hi, The first message I sent was a response to you on my crazy thread. I hope everyhting works out, in Mexico it's going to be lot cheaper. I'm just concerned about having to travel after a major surgery like that. I can't imagine walking through an airport legs weak and stomache sore and aint no tellin what else. What about climbing them long stairs. even if you have someone drive you, I can't imagine traveling in a car for 1-2 days non stop. How far are you from Mexico? have you thought about that also? Check with another Hospital 9500.00 in Mexico but that's not including the gull bladder. You can stay here in the states for 2000.00 differrenc. remeber about fillins? I read that It's hard to find a doc to do your fillins. A lot of people travel a ways or even go back just for the fillins. You might want to just reschedule your surgery here in the states. One lady on the main board sums it up liek this. Put your big girl panties on and handle it!
StellaNut
on 10/16/04 5:50 am - Auburn, WA
Hi there, I am wondering / worrying about the inconveniences of doing this in Mexico. I am in Seattle, and the thought of flying to Texas or San Diego, crossing the borders, post op travel back...... is daunting. I will have people with me, and possibly a RN friend if I can coordinate it with her schedule. I think they are looking at it as a way to party in Mexico, but I don't care as long as I have a familiar face with me. Fifteen years ago I traveled to Mexico for work, and had to pay bribes just to get across. That might have been related more to working in Mexico. And, that 12K does not include the 7K that I already paid for surgeon fees so it brings it up to 19K. I'm anal.... I can't pay the hospital twice for the same incisions and service as I would with the gallbladder. I loved that "pull up your big girl panties and handle it" quote... And, that is what I'm doing.... Pullin 'em up right now! Robin
Therisa M.
on 10/16/04 8:57 am - Austin, TX
Hi Robin, I had my surgery in Monterrey in June. I flew in on a Monday (pre-op), had surgery on Tuesday, Stayed over night in a hotel on Wednesday, and fly back out on Thursday. Granted I am only 1-1/2 away from my destination but flying was no problem for me. I suspect that if you have no fear/problems with flying in general that you should have no problems. On my flight back to the US was another patient who was flying back to Canada - it was a two day flight process for her and when I talked to her later she said that at times she felt a bit queazy. But the experience will be different for everyone. From a Monterrey perspective, I flew in to the airport and passed through customs no problem. They have this Red light/Green light upon entry to determine whether or not they are going to search your bags. I got green. The logistics from that point forwarded was covered by the office manager from Dr, Rumbauts' office. I also know that if you are thinking about Acuna, Dr. Rodriquez, that there is a woman in San Antonio who will pick you up and transport you to and from the hospital and see you to your needs while you are there. If you finally decide on Texas and want further information just email me. As for San Diego, I am sure someone who has had their surgery there will provide you information about their experiences. I had surgery on 6/1, and though not the fastest loser, I am down 23 pounds. Yee Haw! Good Luck! Therisa
StellaNut
on 10/17/04 1:53 am - Auburn, WA
Therisa, Thank you for sharing your experience with Dr. Rumbaut and travel. He is the one that I keep coming back to when researching docs. Then I get sidetracked trying to look for fun things to do for my traveling buddies! hahahah.... I have been saying that I will take a pain pill and you can toast your margarita glasses! And, with any travel plans... sometimes it's smooth sailing, other times quite frustrating. Luck plays a hand. Robin
Therisa M.
on 10/17/04 8:00 am - Austin, TX
Hi Robin, I know close to the hotel is a great mexican restaurant with margaritas. It is more like a place to have a nice long dinner with friends rather than party central. As for stuff to do I know there are nature falls close by and shopping downtown. Can't give you much on the night life. Flew in on Monday and out on Thursday. I remember when I was researching and all the information that was available out there. The decision was easier for me because I live in Texas and it made more sense to head to Monterrey that Tijuana. Experience doing the procedure was very key to me. Dr. Rumbaut being banded also worked into my decision process. Like so many people my friends/family were freaking out. I ended up taking my mother and now she is considering heading south for a face lift. When my time arrives to get things lifted/tucked and whatever they do - I will most definitely go back to Monterrey the Hospital there was top-notch. While I was there I met two differents girls from WA, one man for Boston, Mass, and a girl from Nova Scotia, all having the procedure. Good Luck in you research and final decision. Did you check out Wayne Smith's site. His website had some great information. Therisa
mary R.
on 10/16/04 4:53 am - Shady Side, md
Oh Robin-That just sucks! I am so sorry to hear your upsetting story! Those jerks! Well I hope you will find great success going south! So far all the feedback I am reading about these Mexican surgens has been wonderful,they seem to have a heart down there! Instead of dollar signs in their eyes!
Sandy N.
on 10/16/04 6:59 am - GA
Robin, You sure had a bad experience. Have you asked if the doctor that is doing the surgery in mexico can take out your gallbladder? I am not sure if it is done but you can ask. I wouldn't worry about the records from your WLS doctor, I found that they didn't need them, they test you when you get there. Maybe the gallbladder ones are needed, I am guessing here Traveling back is not that bad, If you live in Seattle it shoud be just a couple of hours on the plane right? It really isn't bad at all. When I have come back from Mexico I just state my citizenship and they let me right in. One of my friends got asked for an ID once but that was the extent of it. I wish you the best of luck and I am sure that your experience in Mexico will be better than what you've been through, it was for me and a lot of others that have chosen to go there. Just choose a good surgeon and your set. Keep us posted! Sandy, lap band-dr aceves
SandiBeach
on 10/16/04 3:16 pm - Northwest USA
Robin, I also live in Washington. Per the Attorney General, the hospital can not charge you twice. If your insurance approves the gallbladder removal. Make an agreement with your surgeon directly to pay for his portion on the banding. Good luck, I wouldnt close the door quite yet, if all else fails ask the hospital to put in writting what they told you, and tell them you will be forwarding this on to our Attorney General's office, they will handle this for you. The practice of double is illegal.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 431 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views