Need input regarding Cardiomed hospital & Dr. Aquirre

Cindy R.
on 10/11/04 11:44 am - Cabot, AR
I have been turned down for RNY by United Healthcare due to an exclusion in my husband's insurance policy. I have been "lurking" about here reading all of the posts. I e-mailed Dr. Aquirre and received an answer from Rosella. I asked a ton of questions concerning Dr. Aquirre's record on RNY.....Mortality rate.....# per week/day that sort of thing. I haven't heard back from her yet. What I'd really like to know from someone who has been down there is: What is the hospital like compared with hospitals in the US? Did you have any problems with aftercare? (I have an excellent, supportive PCP) What can I do to make my husband feel better about going to Mexico for this surgery?? He is extremely worried!!! Any help would be appreciated!!!!
Eileen D.
on 10/12/04 4:32 pm - Wenatchee, WA
Cardiomed is equipped with all the necessities you will need. They have an intensive care ward and a very modern operating room. The hospital is small and isn't as elaborate as newer US hospitals, but it has recently been remodeled and is clean. They don't seem to be as concerned about using strong germ killers (like on the floor) everyday, but from what I understand, because they don't use all those chemical sterilizers, they don't have superbugs like here in the U.S. The hospitals here have a very difficult time with bacteria which have become resistant because of our high degree of sterilization. Neither I nor my friend (who went down with me in August and had the surgery) experienced any infection at all. I have not heard of anyone coming home with any infections at all from Cardiomed. Of course all the surgical instruments have been gas sterilized, etc., so I wouldn't worry. The nurses are really good, even though the language barrier can be difficult. They come and give you pain medications before you ever need to ask for them. The epidural was a really neat deal. They can give you pain and nausea meds through it and it works great. I didn't have hardly any nausea at all, but my friend did the first day. Dr. A tells you about a couple of sublingual meds you can pick up at any pharmacy for after you leave the hospital. The one I used was Supradol and it was great for taking the edge off discomfort and for helping you sleep. The hospital rooms have a large comfortable recliner in them, so your husband can stay and sleep there overnight if he wants to. I have a wonderful doctor who is taking care of me here at home. She has been very pleased with the outcome so far and I will have my first lab tests in a month to see where I'm at with nutrition. I feel wonderful, am 2 months out tomorrow, have been able to get off my diabetes pills and high blood pressure pills, and have lost 53 lbs! Dr. Aguirre specializes in this surgery. I felt very comfortable with his professionalism and demeanor. A friend of mine who went with us watched my surgery and she was amazed at the tedious care and hundreds? of stitches he used to make sure there were no leaks or complications. My friend took an RN with her and she watched her surgery and she said the same thing. While Dr. A is in there, he checks all the organs in the abdominal cavity and lets you know how everything looks. Of course, if your gallbladder is bad, he removes it. Dr. Estrella is also a wonderful surgeon. Dr. Gomez, the anesthesiologist is nice and funny. He really knows how to keep you very, very comfortable. If you don't want your moles removed, be sure and tell him ahead of time. I think he naturally expects that everyone wants all their moles zapped while they are asleep. My friend and I highly recommend Dr. A and his staff. They are very, very good at what they do. I hope you have as good of an experience as I did. Blessings!
Anne D.
on 10/13/04 2:06 am - SANTA FE, NM
I had surgery on October 6th and as was stated on the post from Cindy, I could not have better care or attention than what I received. You would buz and the nurses were there in one second to see to your ever need, my husband was also a little worried, but he had nothing but good things to say about the hospital care, nurses, and physicians. Good luck to you and your husband.
Tim H.
on 10/20/04 10:34 am - Masaryktown, Fl
I will tell you that Cardiomed might concern you at first as it is small but be assured it is a top notch hospital and a staff who understands. I shared this in another thread but think of it like this. The money comming in to the Doctor and the Hospital is incredible form America and one little mishap will bring it all to a screaching halt. Dr A is more than able to perform the surgery. My doc locally is considered one of the best in the conutry and he is imperessed with the work and the record of Dr A. I have to tell you that at this point not only would I go back but I am planning on this hospital if I need plastic surgery. I doubt we get that good of care in the states. On the other thread of disinfectants I have to tell you that I only experienced an extremely clean facility and it was mopped by the staff every day and just because we couldn't detect a "high" level of odor that was a relief. The disinfectant hospitals use is called Quaternary ammonia. Sold in the states as lemon quat, mint quat, and other flavors. The odor is not what works and the only reason they add to it is because in the states we have to smell it to believe it works. I have no reason to believe they were using anything less than adequate sanitizers as there are not many reported infections. To to that off any hospital gives you a ton of antibiotics to ward off infection anyhow. Cardio med is safe, eficient but small but more than capable of taking better care of you that anywhere in the states. I was done on aug 9th 2004
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views