pros and cons

mary R.
on 10/7/04 12:15 pm - Shady Side, md
I would like to hear pros and cons from everyone about the experiences with going south for surgery,I believe that might be my only option.
Sandy N.
on 10/8/04 2:28 am - GA
Mary, The main reason I went to Mexico for surgery is the cost. I could afford it over there. If you find a GOOD doctor then I can't think of anything inconvenient except the distance, being away from your family for the surgery. I went to Dr.Aceves in Mexicali and had a wonderful experience with him and his staff. I felt safe and taken care of the whole time I was there. I really recommend him to anyone thinking out this. I might add too that most doctors in Mexico have been doing this surgery for a longer time and are very experienced. I can't stress enough how important it is to find a good doctor, like everywhere there are good and there are bad so just find the one that you can trust. Sandy lap band-dr aceves
mary R.
on 10/8/04 2:46 am - Shady Side, md
Sandy, Thank you so much for responding to my question! I am in the researching stage but have to get my husband to not be so freaked out by the idea of getting the surgetry done in Mexico. How did you find a good post op doctor? I guess that worries me a bit. But I like your self will be a self pay and in the US it would be crazy,more than double the Mexico costs!Thanks Again! Mary
beckyvee
on 10/8/04 12:34 pm - Cedar Park, TX
Sandy: I went to Dr. Aguirre and I was scared to death, but now I have no regrets. I've lost 106 pounds and gained a new lease on life. Of course, you will have no after care, but that is where support comes in. Do you have a local support group?
Robbin
on 10/8/04 12:58 pm - OK
Sandy, do you really feel like a new person? I'm 46 and starting to feel very old and am wondering if my weight is the biggest reason or is it just age taking its toll. I have 125 I need to lose but am wondering at my age if it will help me feel that much better to lose the weight. any comments?
beckyvee
on 10/8/04 10:59 pm - Cedar Park, TX
Robbin: I'm 42, and at 244 pounds I feel 20 years younger! It's not age that was taking it's toll, it was the FAT.
Sandy N.
on 10/9/04 3:53 am - GA
Robbin, The after care for the surgery I had is the fills. My doctor recommended a doctor locally for the fills, I still go to my regular doctor for everything else I need. I do feel like a new person, look at it this way, age may also be taking it toll but there's nothing I can do about that!! LOL Fat I took control of, finally!! You will start feeling different after the 1st 20 lbs and it gets better as the pounds come off. It is like it gives you hope for the future and you feel like you can do ANYTHING! Sandy lap band -dr aceves
Joanne V.
on 10/9/04 11:42 am - Lexington, MS
Robin - I turned 46 on 8-4-04. I had my surgery on 7-4-03, and I feel much better and younger than I did before. I am down to 148 and I feel good. I have a long diary of the whole experience i had in Monterrey, and I will send it as an MS Word attachment to anyone who wants it. -- Jody
Marianne G.
on 10/8/04 11:29 pm - New York, NY
Dear Mary, I went to Bogota Columbia because the surgeon was outstanding and the package deal was wonderful. I had a wonderful experience and never felt alone. My surgery cost a little over $13,000. The people were kind, compassionate and warm. I always had someone with me except at night in the hotel. I am five weeks out and have lost 35 pounds and feel great. I keep in touch with the folks in Bogota and see a doctor in my area for followup. It is the best thing I could do for myself. Check out their website www.affordablebariatrics.com. They are great. Marianne P. S. Good luck.
klnbaker
on 10/10/04 7:21 am - Gresham, OR
Hi Mary! If your husband is concerned about you having surgery in Mexico, show him this website. My husband was concerned as well, but then I showed him this website and Dr. Aguirre's webpage to read the testamonials. It has really helped to ease the worries. Best wishes to your in your journey! Kathleen
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views