DH is concerned about Mexico

Kel 2.
on 9/22/04 6:04 am - Podunk, OR
My husband is very supportive and loving. He has repeatedly told me that he loves me as I am, but if this is what I want then he is supportive. When I told him that insurance won't cover and I am researching Mexico, he froze up. He is very concerned about doing this in Mexico. He hasn't said no, but is refusing to talk about it. He has suggested that we take out a home equity loan to have it done in the U.S. We could do this, but it would take many years for us to pay this off, that is why I am leaning toward Mexico, it is much more affordable as a self-pay. Every time he gives me an argument against Mexico, I answer with support from everyone's posts and profiles. I think his biggest problem is that if something goes wrong, which I have explained could happen in the U.S. or Mexico, I could die or not receive the best treatment. He is also concerned that if I have problems after I am home, no doctor will treat me here, because of the risk. Has anyone that had surgery in Mexico experienced this? I love my husband and I want his support, but I am feeling like I am in a rock and a hard place. I couldn't, in good conscience, do this without his support and knowledge. I know he is scared, but I need to have this done. Do you think I should just have it done in the U.S., and never be able to afford a life or keep trying to educate him and potentially cause problems in our marriage? I don't think he would make me choose between him and surgery, but I am so scared he will. Everytime I bring Mexico up, he gets very stressed and tries to change the subject. Please share, if you have experienced this. Kelly
Jamie W.
on 9/22/04 12:14 pm - salem, OR
My family was very concerned when I said I was going to do this. My mother is married to a prominent US surgeon and he had misgivings about it... I have done tons of research and in most cases the doctors in other countries (Mexico and Europe in general) had a lot more experience then the US because they have been doing it longer. Most of the doctors researched were highly respected, and I researched several before I choose one. They are still concerned, but not because of the level of care just about the surgery in general. In my case I had to pay it out of pocket... And 8.2k compared to 24k with the same if not better care and knowledge was not even a real choice for me I just got a date today (october 18) and would be happy to let you know how if went if you wanted more info.
DW
on 9/22/04 12:59 pm - Galveston, TX
I had my surgery in Ensenada on Feb 27 with Dr Aguirre, My husband Kevin went in the operating room to observe during the surgery. (and I mean standing right next to the doc). Words cannot express how impressed Kevin is/was with the Doctor, hospital and nursing staff. Kevin tells anyone that will listen about his experience. I have now lost -82 lbs and have not once regretted this decision. I love my new life. Good Luck Dot
ellen b
on 9/22/04 2:37 pm - WI
check out this website and especially the pics ........lorislapband.com and check out dr rumbaut's website belighter.com or just put search for him by name and lapband........dr rumbaut does RNY and lapbanding.
nasta
on 9/23/04 1:43 am - Lantana, FL
Hi Kelly I went to mexico and I went alone. Only thing I regret is the alone part. When I initially got there I had to overcome the predjudice I had to having surgery done in a county that I will not even drink the water at. I was very nervous yet anxious. I had decided after careful research to have the lap-band, and felt that the surgeons in Mexico had far more experience than in the states. The hospital was modes compared to the standars here but everything was very clean and proffesional looking. I had my fist surgery on 9/14/04 and something did not go right. I woke up with severe pain and went into shock, this is not normal after a lap-band surgery. My doctor stabilized all and I proceeded to recover. Over the next several hours I kept on vomiting, and feeling like an elefant sat on my chest. The next morning I vomited so much that the bathroom floor along with my self was bloody, now I finally felt much better. My doctor brought me in to have an x-ray and realized that my band had slipped. This is when I had to be operated again. When I woke up from the 2nd surgery there was no pain, I felt so much better and proceeded to recover almost immediately. I was a lucky one. My surgeron was skilled enough to fix this problem, not all would have been. He has over 5 years of experience performing this kind of surgery, in the states it has only been approved for last 3 years. I believe that I made the right choice and that I had the best possible care, regardless if it was done in Mexico. If I had a choice I would have all surgeries that I ever need done there. The hospital was comfortable and the nurses were totally wonderful, beutiful people from the inside out. I feel that this was a great experience, only thing I do regret is going solo. I felt scared between the surgeries and it would have been nice to have my hubby there. In the end he felt even worse then me for not having taken the time off to join me. Feel free to contact me and I could also speak to your husband if you think that would help. ttfn Sari
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views