Complcations and being abroad

Charles L.
on 9/14/04 1:09 am - Evansville, IN
Hi All, I posted this on the DS Forum and I think it is very appropriate for this forum also. Reading some of the posts about people inquiring about surgeons outside of the US and a lot of these people asking about the death and complication rates of the doctors, I thought I would ask what people would do if they had a complication. I went to Lima, Peru to have my DS. Of course I was well familiar with the bad case scenarios. But, I think I had to put the bad possibilities out of my thinking or I would never have had the surgery done here. I have no idea what I would have done if I had complications. I think that this is an important topic to expand upon, so please message your opinions!!!!! Charlie
Marianne G.
on 10/6/04 11:12 am - New York, NY
Dear Charlie, These are good points that you bring up. I went to Bogota, Columbia for my surgery and it was something that I considered. The hosptial I went to had a good intensive care unit but it was still scary to think that one could end up there. In the last resort, I also knew that I could be evacuated out of the country by the air ambulance to a facility in the US. This is extremely expensive but I always held it as option if the situation arose. Thank God it didn't. I was the best patient walking, coughing and deep breathing-no clots, pneumonia or leaks. I am so greatful. I hope you are doing well. Take care. Marianne
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views