Did anyone go to Mexico alone??

Kel 2.
on 9/13/04 10:03 am - Podunk, OR
I am contemplating Mexico, but I don't have a support person that will be able to travel with me. Has anyone went alone? I am considering Dr. Aguirre and have read much about the apartment that is offered through his office and am considering that. Am I totally off my rocker?? Is this doable? Also, I have a sedintary, office job. Do you think I could go back to work in 2-3 weeks?(most likely 2, since this will be all the time I will be able to take off from work)
Sandy N.
on 9/13/04 10:29 am - GA
Kelly, With the Lap Band you are able to do this alone and go back to work even 3-4 days after surgery. You are a little sore but can function just fine if you have a sedentary job like you say. I can't imagine that with an open surgery you could do this but I may be mistaken. Sandy lap band -dr aceves
Kel 2.
on 9/13/04 1:40 pm - Podunk, OR
Thanks for the information Sandy. It really helps me to make my decision, when I hear all the first hand experience on this website. It definitely makes me feel less alone and more informed about the options. God Bless. Kelly
pinkpetunias
on 9/13/04 10:42 am - Duvall, WA
Kelly, Yes it is very doable! Believe me you will not be alone. Rosella will check on you and if you stay in one of the apartments there will be someone right next dooor doing the same thing you are. You can have a nurse come to the apartment to help you if you like. It really is not that bad. I had my mom with me but there are others that went alone. I am hoping they answer you! As far as work goes, I started teaching summer school ten days after my surgery. I did have two wonderful assistants so I did not do the diaper changes (I teach special ed) but I did go out for recess and all that stuff. Just no lifting! You will be fine unless you have some strange complication. Any questions, just ask. Your experience with Dr. Aguirre will be wonderful and you will never regret your decision. Now, go for it!!!!!
Kel 2.
on 9/13/04 1:44 pm - Podunk, OR
Thank you so much for your insight Canela. I have been reading old posts and am so glad for your reply. I wasn't sure if anyone had went alone before. It's a scary decision, and then to go alone, it makes it more difficult for me to decide. Hearing your response is very encouraging. Thank you. Kelly
Sandy W.
on 9/13/04 1:58 pm - KS
Hi! I went alone to Dr. A in November of '03. It was hard, but now Dr. A has Rosella to help, and the apartment which can have nurse care. I stayed in a hotel. I did it! You can do it too! Just be sure that your family calls you..... It was hard to get through to the states on the phone, even though I had a mexican phone card. I don't speak spanish, so I got by with using a lot of gestures (not great if you're on a phone!)... and the nurses at the hospital are wonderful! They know what you need even before you need it. My only regret was not taking someone with me for EMOTIONAL support.....I did fine with the physical stuff. But if you have someone calling you by phone, or even another patient that you meet here online down there at the same time it is very helpful. I paired up with two of the girls who went down the same week as me..... three of the four of us that week were there alone. It was great to have someone to talk to! Sandy
Cheri Moran
on 9/14/04 10:41 am - Big Spring, TX
Hi Kelly! I didn't go to Mexico alone but I have read the profiles of several that have. I had the nurse come in for two days so that really helped with the bandage change. You can have her come in longer if you choose to. Rosella is wonderful about checking on you. One day I was going to call her on the cell phone she provides but it went dead before she answered because I had forgotten to re-charge it. It wasn't 10 minutes later when there was a knock on the door. It was Rosella. She said, "you called, but the phone went dead, did you need something?" She came by to visit every day. I had my surgery on Thursday and got out of the hospital on Saturday at noon. On Wednesday, my husband and I walked downtown, shopped and walked back to the apartment. We had walked about a mile and a half. We stayed in Mexico until the 14th so I didn't go back to wor****il the 17th. I could have gone back by Thursday (13th) if I had needed to. When I went back I worked 10 hours every day the first week back. I was really tired by the end of the week, but not any more so than what I had been before surgery when I worked long hours. I also have a desk job, but I am up and down all day. You will love Dr. Aguirre, his surgical team, and Rosella. They are the greatest and you will receive wonderful care! I wish you the very best on your weight loss journey. Cheri
xJoellex
on 9/15/04 7:01 am - Belcourt, ND
Hey Kelly~ I hear ya. The way things are going I might have to go alone too. I just hate the thought of it, but if I have to go at it alone I will. How about you wait for me to get things done, and we'll go together!! Haha. I actually have everything planned out already, I'm just waiting on getting approved for a loan. Then I'll call Rosella for the next available appointment. Really though, I've read other peoples profiles too and alot of them said that Dr. Aguirre and his staff were great about making the person feel comfortable when they were alone. That is definitely one of the reasons I chose Dr. Aguirre for my surgery. I just hope it happens. Good luck to you.
inkchick
on 9/16/04 8:35 am - Saskatoon, Canada
I did-I went from canada to monterrey, mx alone to have the rny....all went well. heather post lap rny jan 27,2004 253/157/140
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views