side effects?

sue_f
on 9/5/04 5:04 am - Portland, OR
I am very seriously considering RNY surgery. I am reading a book about it and they mentioned some unflattering side effects like serious bad breath, malodorous gas, yellow pallor to the skin. I know these seem superficial when compared to morbid obesity, but if you work with the public... Anyway, could people please give me honest feedback as to any negative side effects, how serious they are, etc. I will probably still have the surgery, but I don't want any surprises afterward.
C B.
on 9/6/04 6:35 am - Oak Park, IL
Hello Sue, I understand what your talking about I have also thought about all the side affects! My Mother had Open RNY about 3 years ago and I will be honest about for the first 6 months her skin was very pastie looking That scared me. But after that her skin became full of life again and very rosey and her skin tone is beautiful. But she is now addicted to sugar. Thats another side affect I think alot of us might have to face is If we are now addicted to food afterword we might change our addiction to "exercise" "sugar" alchol" and so on and so forth. This is why i feel that we all do need some kind of support if its here on O.H or some where local. I have had to cancel my surgery in mexico. I am very depressed right now but life will go on. OMG tell me to shut up . Im sorry I got side tracked. I hope I have helped you with your answer. Good Luck and God BLess. I wish you nothing but peaceful and blessed days. c
sue_f
on 9/6/04 12:55 pm - Portland, OR
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad your mother's skin tone improved. At least with us ladies we can hide it with makeup! The addiction to sugar is one I have not heard. I thought sugar was hard to take after surgery because of the dumping syndrome. I am sorry you had to put off your surgery and hope you can get back on track soon, if that is what you want. Best wishes, Sue
DW
on 9/6/04 12:04 pm - Galveston, TX
Hi I had my surgery 6 months ago and I feel great, I don't have any of the side effects you mentioned. I am told every day that I look 10 years younger. This surgery has made a tremendous positive difference in my life. Good Luck Dot -80
sue_f
on 9/6/04 12:59 pm - Portland, OR
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you feel good. It seems that most of the people I have talked to are very happy with their results. I went to a friend' s house tonight and they thought I should spend the money on a psychiatrist instead of surgery to find out why I hate my body so much to mutilate it! I promised I would look at every side of it carefully and make sure I am doing it for the right reasons, and carefully check out negative side effects before I go through with it. I found out today I have a date with Dr. Aguirre on December 3. My mother who is a retired nurse will accompany me. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experience with me, I really appreciate it and it will help me make my decision. Sue
xJoellex
on 9/8/04 6:13 am - Belcourt, ND
C B.
on 9/8/04 11:37 am - Oak Park, IL
Thank You for that link. great!!!
Marianne G.
on 10/14/04 10:14 pm - New York, NY
Dear Sue, I am so sorry to hear that you need to reschedule your surgery date. I hope it comes together soon for you. You are lucky to have your mom to go with you. She will be a source of strength for you. I had the RNY procedure (laparoscopic) on September 2nd. By the sixth day I was out sightseeing!!!!! I have felt great ever since. My skin is a healthy rosy pink and I feel years younger. People tell me I look terrific and I have a lot of energy. I have lost 37 pounds in 6 weeks. I have never heard of the yellow skin you spoke about. I am glad to hear that your mom is okay now. Also, I have not heard about the sugar addiction as a common side effect. I would be so worried about dumping but then, again, not everyone dumps so it could be a problem post op if that was your addiction before surgery. I hope you find peace in your decision. I hated my body so much but more than that, I felt so unheathy, with high cholesterol and creeping upwards blood pressure. I know I would be on blood pressure medication soon and I didn't want that too. So, coming to love your body is a nice side benefit but for me the reason to do it was for health reasons. I hope things work out for you. Keep me posted. Good luck. Marianne
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views