Self-payers...how did you come up with the fees for your surgery?

xJoellex
on 8/14/04 12:54 pm - Belcourt, ND
Hello again everyone~ This past week I've applied for so many loans, credit cards...tried everything with no results. I have not so good credit totally my fault, I wish I knew then, what I know now. LOL. I would have definitely not gotten out of hand with the credit thing. I do own a house, but I think it is too old to get any type of loan using it, and I don't even have a deed to it since it's just an older house that has been passed down to alot of people. LOL. I've tried almost every patient financing site on the whole world wide web!! LOL. Anyway, what I wanted to know, if you all don't mind me asking, if you were self-pay, how did you come up with the fees for surgery?? And, do any of you know of a bank that would finance surgery for a person with not so good credit?? I'm actually getting the nerve up to ask my parents for help. Wish me luck on that!! Thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate any kind of suggestions. Btw, I've decided to go with Dr. Aguirre. He seems soo great!! ~*Joelle*~
Erika A.
on 8/15/04 12:59 am - Bala Cynwyd, PA
Well, My credit must be similar to yours as I was also denied by Capital One. I just signed up for MUCHO overtime at work. I should have the cash by Christmas. What a gift huh?
litlmidget
on 8/15/04 3:47 am - Calgary, Canada
I like you have not good credit. I did swallow my pride and asked for help from my folks and my husbands folks! I took a loan off of the cash balance of my life insurance policy, took a smaller loan out with my hubby's folks cosigning (actually in my husbands name) and borrowed money from my parents.(they made me a signer on one of their credit cards and i used that) Even though you don't have a deed to your house you should be able to get one made up! If it's a trust type thing or a family inheritance there have to be papers on who is rightful owner now. Have you checked into refinancing it? Even though it's an older house the equity in it has to be something to get a loan off of. Any little thing helps! Check out these people too Advanced Patient Financing - http://www.advancedpatient.com/. They helped with cleaning our credit report too. We decided to go the other routes because of the interest rate and flexibility the other things gave us but this company was pretty good to work with. Then you could just ask your folks to co sign a loan with you. That way it's inyour name and you reap the good credit benefits from it (doing the right things of course ) Good Luck and don't give up! Kristin
pinkpetunias
on 8/15/04 9:12 am - Duvall, WA
Joelle, Ask your parents!!!! The interest rates on the loans offered on the webiste banners are sometimes 22-24%. Those are imposssible to pay off! Sometimes small credit unions will oan money to those with less than perefect credit scores and you do not have to be a member. Does your work have any affiliation with a credit union? Its tough but you will find a way! It is hard because even though the cost is way less than here in the US it is a big chunk!!!!
Dinka Doo
on 8/16/04 1:37 am - Medford, OR
Joelle - Find out what you have to about your house first. That is the most logical way to get the money. I'm not sure what you mean about the house being passed down to a lot of people. You should be able to call the County planning dept and find out how the house is titled. That can and should be resolved, and I'll bet you would be able to get a home equit loan or small mortgage on it - esp if you own it outright. We sold our house and had extra left over when we bought our new home (we didn't put it all into the new house as we were going to remodel). Having had this done and knowing what I know now, I would have sold my mini van and bought a beater to drive. I would have sold half my possessions on eBay. In fact, eBay is an excellent place to make extra money. It's not a horribly insurmountable amount to come up with if you just put your mind to it. Then the good old overtime thing - or if you can't get OT then you can get a second job. It would be worth it - I have to say! Good luck to you - hope you get that worked out! Dina
Sandy W.
on 8/16/04 2:18 pm - KS
Hi Joelle! I've never really told anyone on this site where I got the money for my surgery...but since you asked.......My husband was on "Who wants to be a Millionaire" in 2002... He won $16,000... After we paid off credit cards, set up education accounts for the kids, and paid Uncle Sam, we had just about enough left to cover my surgery costs-- ( I was back in Nov. of 2003, so it was $6900 then....) Now if I can just get him on Jepardy, I might get enough for my plastic surgery fund! I know this might not help you, but I thank that husband of mine every day for this! Smile! There will be a way for you, too!!! Sandy
DiannasaurusRex
on 8/18/04 12:11 pm - West, FL
I borrowed from 2 credit unions - $5k loan, $2k title loan for a 95 saturn sl2 (I was shocked to have gotten that much!) from one place, and $4k from another. I think the secret to my success was applying for everything at once, so the multiple inquiries didn't show on my credit report until I'd already gotten the financing. Another key factor was not asking for too much money from one place. I wouldn't have likely been approved for $11k from any one credit union, but smaller amounts are less hassle. I have to agree with the house thing - find out what you need to do to draw equity from that. It could solve your problem completely.
A C.
on 8/20/04 3:10 am - Sherman Oaks, CA
My credit is bad also, and although I am working diligently to clean it up it takes time. So I borrowed the money from my boyfriend *****cently came into an inheritance. I couldn't have done it without him. I am paying him back 500/month but we both know he will end up spending a good portion of that on new clothes! Hehe!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views