I can't decide on RNY or DS surgery. Please help

Robin J.
on 8/4/04 6:23 am - St. Louis, mo
I am 40 years old mother of 5 ages 5-22 years. I am a nurse. I have sleep apnea, reflux, major depression,pain in knees and pain in lower back. High cholesterol and a family history (mother, father, sister and 2 brothers) of Heart attack, stroke, type 2 diabetes,high BP. I will probably have to do self pay becuase of my husbands policy has a very specific exclusion for obesity and morbid obesity treatment and surgery. Anyhow I am trying to come up with the funds to do this. What is the difference in cost, recovery and long term success with these 2 surgeries. I would probably want to try doing laproscopic if possible becuase I need to get back to work ASAP. If you had or are having the surgery, why did you pick the type that you picked? Thanks for your suggestions Robin Green
Sandy N.
on 8/4/04 12:40 pm - GA
Robin, I had the surgery last year and as you are doing now researched it, I was deciding between the RNY and the lap band. I decided on the lap band. My reasons were that it is the less risky surgery, it is adjustable and the least invasive. I looked into weight lost one against the other. What I found out from various sites and talking to a few doctors is that with the RNY you lose more weight in the begining but in the studies done after 2 years the weight lost is about the same between lap band and RNY. I also took into consideration that I didn't want to give up sweets for good. I am committed to my weight loss and have been doing great but once every full moon I like to eat something I shouldn't even if it is a very small portion. The lap band surgery will let you go back to work faster than any other one.No one can tell you that one surgery is better than the other one, they are all good and are tools for weight loss, only you can decide what is best for you. You will also hear that one doctor is better or the best there is. There are a lot of great doctor's in Mexico, I had surgery with Dr aceves but have talked to patients who had the lap band with other doctors and are very happy as well. It comes down to what feels best for you. Good luck, Sandy
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/04 5:50 am, edited 1/25/12 1:21 am

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views