self pay help

nmargiolas
on 4/21/04 1:40 pm - Raleigh, NC
ok peoples I here for help! I have done it all I am on my last straw here. I have no insurance as I can not get covered by my state and well a private health care wants 660.00 per months for coverage...they have got to be kidding! (no they were not) Anyhow, here I am it will take some extra hours of work some penny saving and all but I can do this and I am ready to do this. I can not get finananced right now but that is ok I mean I need this time to prepare mentally. But here are the questions...where do I go? I found a surgeon called DR RAMI MIKLER and he is in BOGATA he has a what I would call ALL INCLUSIVE package it pays for airlines hotel surgery there is even a insurance you get in case of complications. Here is my thing in the US i chose a surgeon based on web feedback and what not thinking I will meet him and get my questions answered b4 making this choice to go with him. But this is much different plus traveling there being that far from home during the surgery. I need some help with the research. What is the going rate. Is this all inclusive package a normal thing they provide? I am looking for a laparoscopic gastic bypass!!! any info is greatly appreicated ! nicole [email protected]
Deborah P.
on 4/22/04 4:22 am - NY, NY
I researched almost 2 years. Spent six months learning that so many people actually are "paid testimonials" and I couldn't trust what they said. I found this site and met some wonderful people who led me in the right direction. Two doctors were narrowed down for me - Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey and Dr. Aguirre in Ensenada. Made my decision with Dr. Aguirre and am 4 weeks post op and it was the best thing I've ever done and with the right person. He is fantastic and caring. Surgery cost in total $8,500 hospital and surgery. Add on to that my air from NY to San Diego ($280). A driver from Dr. Aguirre picked me up right in baggage claim in San Diego and drove me straight to my hotel and to meet Dr. Aguirre and back again to San Diego the following week. This was where I decided to spent the big bucks. He cost $150 each way cash. For me, it was a dream to just come out of baggage claim and never worry about how I was going to get somewhere. There are other options like buses that people apparently have taken for much much less. I went big on the hotel so I could accomodate my travel companions who went with me at $140 a night for 9 nights but I stayed longer than other people do and there are hotels that I've seen under $100 a night. Food isn't an issue since I wasn't eating. I arrived in San Diego and my driver took me to the supermarket where I picked up a jug of water, sugar free jello, etc. and it lasted me straight through. Cabs back and forth to hospital/hotel were about $6.00 each time. I would say that I wished I did this sooner because the surgery cost last year was under $7,000 and there's no guarantee that a doctor is going to raise his prices especially when he gets well established, so my only advice on this topic is to keep it in mind and if it reaches that point, get it done before the next calendar year.
pinkpetunias
on 4/22/04 9:49 am - Duvall, WA
Hi, I looked into Dr. Mikler also. It just seems so far. I mean Mexico is far enough! I have travelled quite alot in South America and it is nice but aren't the ariplane tickets expensive, or is that included? I did read testimonials form some people who had gonne to Mikler. I didn't read any from people from the US though. Do you mind telling me the cost again, I forgot and I lost my info. Have you thought about going to Mexico?
nmargiolas
on 5/7/04 4:06 pm - Raleigh, NC
www.affordablebariatrics.com is the site for the doctor in Columbia.I have thought about the many options here that everyone has discussed. I am in the process of still looking for an insurance company that is affordable and " obesity friendly" but I am also saving and clearing up some old that's so that I could finance a portion of it if I have to go "South of the Border" It will take me a long time to be able to afford this on my own if that is what I'm going to do. So I am taking and all the information that everyone on this wonderful site has given me and making an informed decision based upon my contacts a do with the difference surgeons used by the many patients listed here. Everyone has been extremely helpful and supportive. ***Just a note to anyone reading this THANK YOU. I have not relied on this because I never realized there was a link at the end of my e-mails that I have gotten from you all! So now I'm trying to catch back up. ***Carnela there is a man named Gary Zeeb on this site that has used Dr. Milker. He had a very good experience and is currently down in Columbia now for a follow-up. He has been very helpful in telling me about his experience and I'm sure he would help the too. Just a note the entire package that is listed at the site I have listed above is all-inclusive so your airline tickets are paid for. I do believe there is a notation on the site though that says it will pay up to 700-750 toward airline. There is also an insurance in this package that covers up to a certain amount on any complications that may occur while you are there. I have not seen that at any of the other doctors listed here but I certainly may be wrong. I wish you luck in your search and I hope that everything goes well for you. Definitely keep me informed
Dinka Doo
on 4/22/04 4:08 pm - Medford, OR
Well, all I've seen you probably already have seen as well. I'm not able to comment on the other surgeons though. I had a friend who went to Dr. Aguirre, and her sister also (CJ Cody), so I was definitely swayed by their testimony. Knowing someone personally to recommend someone just tends to hold more weight for me sometimes. Anyway, after reading from all the profiles of people who saw Dr. Aguirre it didn't take me long to decide to make an appointment with him. I wish you luck finding the right doctor for you. I know there are a few who do lap bands, but I'm not sure about the lap RNY in Tijuana... Dina
prplgirl
on 4/24/04 11:50 am - Elk Grove Vlg, IL
I am going to see Dr. Aguirre in May 18th, but I was told he only does Open. I have only gone by what I have researched and what I have heard through everyone on this site about the doctor. I also feel more comforatble about doing the open. I was told that it is easier and more successful, with less complications that the laproscopic. Make sure you know which one you want done before anything else. Good luck!! Tricia
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views