More questions??????

pinkpetunias
on 4/21/04 12:17 pm - Duvall, WA
I got messed up and sent this somewhere else so if you got this message your are getting it twice. Sorry. Technology gets in the way of my rapidly moving brain functions and my fingers won't keep up! Hey, do the fingers get thin also???? My questions were-----Do people leave with staples, drains and stitches? Will I need to contact a doctor here before I leave so he/she can do this? Is there anyone out there that went alone to Mexico? Has anyone rented the apartment and not had the nurse service? Did you guys wear legging type stuff or were you able to wear your regular clothes to go home on the plane? Is is easy to figure out what to eat? I need to know about the pre-op test. I have heard about blood gas tests that are very painful. What do they do? Details, please!!!! I am such a huge chicken ( that's pollo in spanish, not that it translates the same way). Also, anyone have any ideas how far in advance Dr. Aguirre books? Does it take forever to get a surgery date? sorry, I am so afraid to call and get turned down or put off for months. Just a little anal but I can handle it. You know I am afraid they will say, "come on down," but I am also afraid they will say "we have no room for you." Thanks
Dinka Doo
on 4/21/04 12:24 pm - Medford, OR
I just responded in your other thread, but I wanted to also say that as far as blood gases go, I haven't had any taken that I know of. Nothing was painful for me except the several pokes I got from placing IV's. I'm a pollo grande too (how's that? ) so don't worry. I was impressed with how easy it was on me! Dina
DiannasaurusRex
on 4/21/04 12:27 pm - West, FL
Canela, I'm still pre-op but I can answer a few of your questions. 1. Yes, it seems most leave with staples in and a drain. Arrange an appointment with your physician at home in advance to remove them when you get back. 2. There are people who go to Mexico alone. Depending on your personality type it may or may not be a good idea. It's been reported that the patients who travel alone have a bit of a harder time with post-op depression (typically caused by morphine?) 3. The nurse service is optional, so I can only assume there are people who gave it a miss. Anyone traveling alone should *definitely* use the nurse service, though. 4. Seems everyone wore their regular clothes outside of the hospital. Nothing wrong with bringing some support hose for the trip home if you like, though. 5. While in Mexico it's pretty easy to figure out what to eat. Nothing by mouth for three days, the fourth day only water. Starting on the fifth day soft foods. He's pretty specific from what I've gathered. It won't be hard. 6. As far as I understand the pre-op test is just a standard blood draw. 7. I can't speak for the rest of his schedule, but I recommended two dates when I e-mailed him the first time. He agreed to the soonest of the two, scheduling my surgery with 6 weeks notice. His patient forum and the people here on this board are all very helpful. I've learned a *LOT* from reading profiles from beginning to end. Good luck, I hope I've been able to help Dianna
pinkpetunias
on 4/21/04 12:31 pm - Duvall, WA
They are a helpful bunch. Actually, it is all you guys that have helped me make my decision. Now, we need a reunion in Mexcio in June so you can all be there with me.
Dinka Doo
on 4/21/04 12:47 pm - Medford, OR
Canela - I wish I could. You sound like the kind of person who would be fun to travel with! Dina
Dinka Doo
on 4/21/04 12:50 pm - Medford, OR
On the soft foods thing: I had surgery on Wed, was released on Friday, was on liquids on Saturday and ate soft foods on Sunday on out. Cream of wheat is apparently a staple - and it sits really well on the tum. I liked it with bananas. Soups are good, smashed taters, beans, etc. If I were to do it over again, I would definitely have chosen the apartment because you have your own kitchen and it would make it easy to prepare simple little soft food meals. Oh - crackers made me dump right away. They just were too carby. Dina
y0maria
on 4/22/04 10:03 am - CA
I left with all my staples and my drain in. My sister and baby brother are both nurses and they removed my drain and staples. I went there with my sister. I could have done it alone but it so much better mentally to have someone there with you for moral support. Pre-op test was a blood and urine draw. No biggie. I had my surgery last year. I requested a date in June and was given one in November. It does seem like people are getting dates a lot sooner right now. I would recommend bringing your loose clothing. Sweats, leggings, etc. You do become swollen and it's not uncommon to gain water weight. Since you speak Spanish you have an advantage. I know when I spoke with the nurses in Spanish they would get a big smile. Dr. A didn't realize I spoke it until the day I was leaving. He was surprised. I'm a white girl with a Hispanic last name. You'll do fine, just try to stay positive.
prplgirl
on 4/23/04 1:38 am - Elk Grove Vlg, IL
When do you plan to go? Does anyone know, how does it work, when you get back home, you now have to see your primary doctor? Does he take all the blood tests and keep checking you out so you are ok? Or can you go back to your surgeon's office, even though you were denied? Help me too, I am confused. tricia
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views