How to decide on a Mexican surgeon?

karebear65
on 12/20/16 11:48 pm

Hi there, I was looking into getting sleeved and decided to check out Mexico because it is likely my insurance won't approve me even though it is covered (because they deny everything). I am feeling a bit overwhelmed because in just 2 days I got approved by a surgeon and also for financing for $3000. Now they want a deposit and to secure a date. I was thinking of February. This is happening really fast!

I selected this doctor because he is charging $3,899. His name is Dr. Jorge Green. He is in Tijuanna at Florence Hospital. He is the least expensive of all the surgeons offered through medicaltourimsco.com. Not sure if that means he isn't as good or maybe he just isn't as popular or well established. His resume looks good however.

I have found another that is $3000 and have sent for more info about that from Long Term VSG. 

I just don't know how to determine who will be the best choice as a surgeon..and like I said, it is happening so fast. My insurance company hasn't even called me back to tell me if I can even consult with a surgeon here! 

So does anyone have any advise for  me?

Of course if things begin to look hopeful through my insurance I will go that route but it is doubtful.

Thanks.

Stacy_WLS
on 12/22/16 8:17 pm

Do your research.  There are lots of reviews online - read them!

I am on my way home from tijuana as we speak.  My husband had vsg on tuesday.  We went with Dr Ramos Kelly.  He is a great surgeon but some of the administrative support was lacking  ( and extra unseen charges).  Ultimately we paid a premium to have a very experienced doctor perform it at a state of the art hospital - (8500 + travel expenses- 1000 more than quoted).  Unseen charges and his rude wife were not welcomed but my husband is well and had good medical treatment.

There was a woman having surgery the same day as my husband.  She had a failed vsg which she had done 4 months prior.  The surgeon had used an oversized boughie which resulted in her needing a revision - she went with a lower cost surgeon the first time and decided to pay more for experience this time.

Doctors charge different amounts for different reasons.  Ask the questions and get informed.  You want to know what you are getting into exactly before you are under the knife in a foreign country.

Good luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

karebear65
on 12/23/16 6:13 pm

The first surgeon I looked at was charging just under 4000 but then they said bring another 1000 cash just in case. That was a big red flag.

Zeusfriend
on 10/19/17 4:18 pm

Hi.. did you go to Dr. Jeorge Green cuz I'm scheduled with him the 23rd of this month.. you can't find any reviews on him unless it's under Medical Tourism and naturally those are all good...

lizcard
on 7/22/18 12:01 pm - Arnprior, On
lizcard
on 8/7/18 10:20 pm - Arnprior, On

Hi just windering if you ended up going with Dr Jorge Green.

I want to bookmmy surgery with him too, but i cant find much on him either?

karebear65
on 12/27/16 2:16 pm, edited 12/27/16 6:17 am

Thank you. I did google Dr. Green and after not finding a single review, decided to opt out. The hospital has positive reviews but that wasnt enough for me. The price for a vsg with him was 3899 and another 1000 to repair a hernia.

I am going with Dr. Ariel Ortiz,  if all works out as planned. Im booking directly with his staff, but there is a deposit. Are there any surgeons who dont ask for a depisit?  

lizcard
on 7/22/18 11:55 am - Arnprior, On
MichiganTexan
on 1/4/17 1:42 pm
VSG on 10/05/16

I also used Dr. Kelley back in October.  I do agree his office staff were young and inexperienced.  I had the surgery at the clinic.  I had no issues and neither did the other 2 women that had surgery the same day that I had mine.  I think my cost was just under $6000 for the surgery, travel for my self and spouse and her meals while we were there.  We also spent 2 days in San Diego prior to surgery. 

I would definitely look around and read the reviews, you tube videos are a good place to go too.

TD1808
on 1/29/17 5:33 pm
VSG on 01/28/16

Financing via BeLite Weight worked for me. Dr. Rodriguez is actually an American citizen who lives in El Paso but he does his surgeries in Juarez. Cheaper all the way around. He's studied in the US and around the world. I liked that. I didn't want a strictly Mexican education - he's certified all over. Star Medica has some certifications as well. That was important to me. That's the hospital they took George Bush Sr. when he was having breathing troubles in that area. All of these things combined with financing and a reasonable price point made me choose this company. 

I'd personally skip the insurance company. You'll wait and wait and jump thru every hoop they throw at you in order to deny you. Mexico is inexpensive, quality surgery and these people are very good at what they do. In fact, it's called, "medical tourism." They ensure a quality product because they want you to come to them - it's a good paycheck!

Anyway, if you have questions about my surgery or experience, feel free to ask. B**** the time, my credit sucked and I still got financing. I had to put money down, but they gave me a chance and I pay faithfully. It's the best thing I ever did for myself - I only wish I had done it 20 years ago (or knew that such a thing existed back then).

Cheers!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 429 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 621 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1207 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1833 views