Mexico; How much cash will I need to take? What will I need to buy?

ak29
on 8/11/16 11:00 am

Hi everyone. I'm looking at going down to Mexico for surgery and am trying to figure out how much extra cash I will need to take and what I will need to buy while down there. I know I'll want a little money for drinks and such at the airports but I'm not sure what else I'm missing.

Also I'm not sure how much to expect to pay for the aftercare drugs at a pharmacy or how much, how often, and who to tip down there. I am not a traveler at all so this will all be a new experience for me. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks

Sandra F.
on 8/12/16 5:03 am

I've been to Mexico around 15 times now and I had my surgery there.  I always get some pesos from my bank here before going.  My bank, Bank Of America, will allow you to order pesos online and have them shipped to your local banking center.  Since you are not going for leisure, I would suggest you not take too much money.  You may need some small bills for tips to the cab driver or if your surgeon provides a driver, you may want to tip him/her.  You may also need some money for bottled water and souvenirs if you feel like shopping but I wouldn't take too much.  As far as prescriptions, my doctor actually provided the prescription meds to me, so I didn't need to go to a pharmacy.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

ak29
on 8/17/16 8:16 am

Yea, I'm trying to take as little cash as possible without risking not having enough. I'll have my credit card if any big purchases come up. I hadn't thought of taking pesos because everything I've read says American money is good there and I will have to convert my Canadian money to that anyway. Thanks!

TD1808
on 8/17/16 7:04 am
VSG on 01/28/16

My husband needed to eat while we were there, so we needed cash for that. Everything for me was covered except the medications, which were $50. Tipping is normal - waiters/resses and if you're going to be in a hotel, the maid. It's no different than the states. I found that people took American money and our credit cards were good everywhere, though we took about $100 in cash, just in case. One big thing we did was enable international plans on our cell phones for a month, which was about $20 total.

Hope this helps :)

ak29
on 8/17/16 8:20 am

We're going to take some cash for hubby's meals as well as tipping. What is the customary rate to tip hotel maids and drivers? I don't travel and so have no idea. I've called my service provider to find out about a roaming option but because I'm coming from Canada, will I need roaming for the US and another one for Mexico? Thanks for your comment!

TD1808
on 8/17/16 8:26 am
VSG on 01/28/16

Hi - if you plan on keeping your cell phone off, you can get away with not needing a roaming option in the states. I'm assuming you're going to either Texas or California and being driven across the border to Mexico? 

I will say that I didn't need anything when I was down there. The only person I tipped was the waiter at a restaurant the night before I went into surgery (I was able to eat until midnight that day).

But as far as tipping goes - maybe this will help (its the site I used):

http://www.gomanzanillo.com/features/tipping/

Restaurants: The normal tip amount is 10-15% of the bill. 20% for an upscale restaurant with excellent service. Sometimes there is a national value added tax (IVA) of 15% included on all restaurant bills. This is not the tip, this is a federal tax.  Make sure you check the bill carefully for this 15%. Also do your own arithmetic and add the bill up yourself. Many times there are mistakes. Be sure and check to see if the restaurant has added on a tip. Some do if they think they can get away with it. Many people leave a tip equal to the IVA, 15%, or leave 10% of the total bill that has the IVA tax included. Not all restaurants pay the waiters in the same way. Some restaurants pool all the tip money and divide it equally between waiter, bartender, and kitchen staff. Others allow each waiter to keep his individual tip, and he has to pay a percentage to the bartender and kitchen staff. If you pay with a credit cfard and add the tip to the charge, the waiter will be charged a 4% bank charge of the tip amount. Pay the tip in cash, if you can. The waiter will get more.

Bellhops and luggage handlers:  $1-2 dollars per bag.

Concierge: $2 dollars or the equivalent if they do something for you (e.g., book a table at a local restaurant); more if they undertake some particular research (e.g., found you a local tour operator, car rental agency, or chauffeur). If you don't speak Spanish, remember that they will also be acting as translators for you and you should take this into account with your tip.

Taxis: Depends upon the city, type of taxi (meter or negotiated price)... Make sure you have small change. Taxis will not carry change so they can keep yours.  If you ask the price before you get in, also ask if they have change for whatever bill you plan to give them. If not, they'll stop along the way at a taxi stand to make change. Do not pay in American dollars. 

[more info at the link provided above]

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 429 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 621 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1207 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1833 views