Guidance

amycarrillo40
on 2/4/16 9:11 pm

I'm so scared to go to mexico to have the procedure. Can anyone share their experience with the area. I don't want to die over there.

TD1808
on 2/5/16 4:28 pm
VSG on 01/28/16

:)

So first off you're not going to die over there. :)  They have very talented surgeons just like here. The paradigm, the idea of how things are in Mexico are greatly slanted in the media, I found out when I went there. It's also very different from Mexican Americans living here. 

My particular surgeon lives in El Paso, TX and crosses the border to perform his surgeries daily. Now I don't know what his citizenship status is, but he's got a very (VERY) nice house in El Paso lol... 

So the particular hospital where I went, Star Medica, had some damn good doctors and nurses. Nothing over there was out of the ordinary. I had a girl take my blood - and my veins are CRAPPPPPP... LIKE BAD. I almost always have someone rolling my veins, sticking thru them, or plain just can't find the damn things. I'm fat so that doesn't help. I have seriously considered tattooing a ---> where it is. NO JOKE. Anyway, rather than just pin cushion me, she took her time. It took her 6 or 8 minutes before finding the spot she wanted but once she stuck me, it was with the butterfly needle (the only one that has ever worked) and WHAM - perfect. I was like "ahhh... BUENO!!"

The hospital staff was good and they were very respectful. It helped when I used my cell phone for google translate for important stuff. Otherwise, most people spoke enough english to get by.

I was rolled down to surgery with the same fears you have now but it was fine. i actually was rolled into recovery to wait and be prepped then the surgery room. i dont remember anything after that other than waking up in recovery. i was out 1 hour, tops. I know this because there was a big clock on the wall and i noticed the time before and after. I kept asking anyone nearby if I'd had the surgery. I was in no pain at all just woozy from the meds but i couldn't figure out if I'd done it or not. lol... they all assured me I had. 

After that I was sore, but I was cut, so it was to be expected. Two days later I flew home. Been kick ass ever since - dropped 20lbs or so in a lil over a week. Sounds astonishing but if you go by percentages, it really isn't that much because of how heavy i was: ~315 before preop diet, 305 pre-op, 285 now and surgery was Jan 28. I'm walking around with no problems either - and today I dont even wear bandages on my incisions nor do I have any pain getting up or anything. I went back to work that monday - so about 3 or 4 days after surgery.

Best decision I ever made. If you're here and thinking about it - not going will kill you. Going to Mexico will save your life, not end it. 

Good luck :)

ojosverdes86
on 2/5/16 4:29 pm

I had a really good experience with my doctor His facility is very very clean .

I was treated like I was family by my doctor and his staff.

I had to look up all the doctors that I could before I jumped up and decided.

I studied day and night until I found the right one for me His name is Sergio Quinones and he is a doll.

His staff are so very sweet and they speak English...good for me.

Some of the nurses speak Spanish but their was always some one that could help them talk to me and tell me the procedures that was going to be done on me.

I really do not know to much about Mexico or other hospitals or facility but were I went was sweet. So I hope this is some good info that can and might help you. I f you would like more info please feel free to send me a message back.

GOOD LUCK...hope you have a good journey.

Sandra F.
on 2/8/16 5:58 am

I had surgery in October 2014 with Dr. Fernando Garcia.  I have minimal scarring and am down 114 lbs.  It can be very daunting doing surgery in a foreign country but I and many others have had very positive experiences.  If you want more info, inbox me.  Good luck to you!

angie72
on 2/15/16 5:51 am - Asheboro, NC
RNY on 03/24/16

First of all, let me start by saying that I have been an RN for 16 years now and have taken care of MANY people whom have had WLS (here in the states mind u) that have been messed up beyond belief!!! Typically, nothing to do with the surgery itself. Almost always from not following the RULES after surgery!! When they say, don't smoke, no alcohol, SIP lots of water, chew ur food to a puree, always take ur vitamins, get all ur protein in, etc....They mean it!!!!!

I was feeling the same as u. And, after walking the walk & talking the talk & doing what the insurance companies have required of me then to receive denials for one ridiculous reason or another, I decided, "SCREW YOU INSURANCE!!!!" I decided I was going to have this surgery I desperately wanted & needed come hell or high water!! If I go to Mexico, have surgery & die, so be it cuz I'm gonna keel over and die if I don't have it!!! I was leary of having surgery in Mexico...all based on stereotypical ideas!!!! So, I did my research. The internet is a wonderful thing!! I decided on a surgeon, forwarded my info, paid my down payment, scheduled my surgery date, booked my flight and I'm just about ready for my new life to start on March 24th!!

So, DO NOT BE SCARED OF SURGERY IN MEXICO!!!! DO BE SCARED OF NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES POST-OP!!!! 

amycarrillo40
on 2/15/16 7:09 am

If you don't mind me asking Which surgeon did you choose and how much is your surgery.

angie72
on 2/15/16 8:03 am - Asheboro, NC
RNY on 03/24/16

I chose Dr. Sergio Quinones. www.pompeiisurgical.com It's $4500. for the VSG I think. All-inclusive. I'm having the RNY though, $5500. They just started an In-house Financing Program in January. That's what I'm using so as not to deplete all my $..lol. `I applied for their financing, made a down payment and make monthy payments starting April until its paid in full. No interest too!!!! Scheduled my date & booked the flight.

I've talked to numerous people on here and www.gastricsleeve.com that used him, are going to use him or are currently still there in the post-op recovery phase after the surgery. Never heard anything bad at all!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views