1 WEEK -- EEK!!!!

TD1808
on 1/21/16 5:29 am
VSG on 01/28/16

7 days from today I will be sitting in a Mexican hospital awaiting life changing surgery from a surgeon I've never met before. The freakout is unreal right now but at the same time I'm excited (how does that work!!!??)!  Our passports were back in record time. our cell phones are set up for international travel. tickets are ordered, mother flying down to assist. Like.. its really happening. Am I nuts? everyone thinks I'm crazy for going to Mexico for this. I'm definitely crazy for doing this in Mexico lol, but that doesn't change that I'm going!

any words of inspiration are highly appreciated!!

Anyone else going to Juarez to Star Medica with Dr. Rodriguez at this time?

Sandra F.
on 1/21/16 5:54 am

Believe me I know the feeling.  I did not choose the same surgeon as you, but I did do my surgery in Mexico.  And yes, everyone thought I was crazy, especially my mom.  But I am doing great and have more energy than ever.  It is absolutely normal to be nervous before surgery, even more so for surgery in another country.  Good luck to you.

lindsayraec323
on 1/22/16 10:10 pm
VSG on 02/05/16

Ya its crazy I keep saying that to myself.  The only thing I am bummed out about is I have said goodbye to food for the last month....and you can sure tell because I gained 20 pounds this month!! I know I shouldn't have done that!  Your mom is going with you...your going to be fine.  You probably watched all the YouTube videos I did, and it really does seem like its going to be great or we wouldn't have made this decision.  Sometimes I have to go back on and watch more videos to reassure myself again.  I feel so scared I get sick sometimes, bu****ching other people's successful stories reminds me that i am doing the right thing!

inforapenny-inforapou
nd

on 1/25/16 11:32 am
VSG on 02/04/16

I'm 10 days out and feel the same thing! I'm not freaking out though, I don't know how...lol I haven't told my family yet; I'm not trying to hide it, but another family member just had surgery and it was too much to put on everyone. I suspect they are all going to look at me askance because I'm going to Mexico, but they all also know me and they know I over-research EVERYTHING (it's a sickness). I'm just hoping they decide to trust me and my judgment.

GOOD LUCK!! And I'll be following because I'm right behind you!  We're not crazy, we're brave :-)

Sammy_85
on 1/25/16 1:35 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/19/16

I'm 6 days out and going to Mexico was a great experience. You sound very prepared so just stay calm and trust your surgeon and his team. Don't be afraid to ask questions and follow their instructions like walk, walk, walk. You will do great (and I don't think you're crazy)! Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and recovery!

TD1808
on 1/26/16 9:08 am
VSG on 01/28/16

Hi Everyone! Thanks for posting :)

So I'm here on the eve of my journey - man, I can't even explain the oscillating feelings of nerves, being grateful that I can even do this, that this surgeon is saving my life, and the normal FREAK OUT!!! Oh man, what a wild ride :)

@inforapenny-inforapound -- how on earth are you keeping this to yourself.. LMAO! You are awesome!! Glad you're doing what you have to ensuring nobody naysays you. What do you think they're going to say? When do you plan on telling everyone? You know -- I went to the bank today to get my cashier's check and to tell them I'm going to Mexico, please dont let the over-zealous fraud protection people shut my accounts down because I'm traveling etc. So the bank teller asks me, 'Oh, you're going to mexico! Why are you traveling there? (just in friendly conversation)." So I told her - I'm having surgery done, part of the surgical tourism. Without missing a beat, she told me that another lady from [insert the hoity toity neighborhood she mentioned here] just did the same thing. So it's not that uncommon! If people are looking at you askance (LOVE THAT WORD LOL, im such a nerd) then they just aren't up to date on where people are going for the latest procedures. :)

@lindsayraec323 -- I understand where you're coming from. I've had my own food parting and it was terribly painful. I had no idea I was so addicted to eating and really loved it so much. Part of the freakout I'm having is psychological. My husband reminds me that I can still eat anything I want but only >|-----|< thissss much of it. so it's not really goodbye. In fact, as far as dieting goes, this will be the least restrictive diet we will go on because we're not going to abstain from food - we just can't hardly eat any of it. Of course, this is not license to hog wild and eat crap like before. But a taste of cheesecake is all that will fit and it's more than enough really. I actually bought low carb ice cream (carb smart, Dannon) and on the pre op diet, just to make sure I'd stick to it, I had this chocolate ice cream in the freezer. I knew I couldn't have but a skeosh of it, so I'd have a tablespoon or two and put it up. I found that it satisfied the craving. Maybe that's how it'll be the rest of our lives with everything. Eat to live, right? As far as the youtube videos - stupid me watched the surgery itself. I am not squeamish with that sort of thing but this one was better to not have watched. Too much information wasn't great either. But you're right - just visualizing my body as something normal and not to be ashamed of, my blood sugar stable (god.. that would be lovely), going back to martial arts and not dying... just fun stuff. yanno?

@Sandra F. -- TY so much for the words of encouragement. I'm nervous but I'm going with the mindset that he is saving my life. It really hit me when I tried to apply for life insurance awhile back and I was denied... because of my BMI. I was like omg, I feel ok, but I cant even get insurance because of my weight? Ok.. that aint good... I'm going through with this and while nervous about it, I'm just not going to dwell on it. No sense. But still hoping for the best for a procedure that is gonna save me. Its always nice to hear from people who have been through the procedure.

@Sammy_85 -- ty for posting! I'm so glad surgery went well for you! Thanks for the advice - I'm telling my husband to get me moving regardless if I want to or not :) I noticed that it helped a great deal to walk around after surgery the last couple of times - especially when that dreaded gas is involved. I hate that stuff. If you don't walk around, it somehow hits a nerve and hurts in the shoulder something fierce!!! TY for best wishes :)

Ok guys - back to staying busy for my flight tomorrow at 9am. EEK!! lol.. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views