Will OHIP cover complications after surgery in Mexico?

leseratte
on 1/11/16 4:16 pm - Kingston, ON,, Canada

Hello,

I just started my journey and find the forum very helpful.

I do live in Ontario and I am covered by OHIP, which would actually cover the costs for WLS, but the wait time is around 1.5 years and the criteria to qualify are pretty high. Furthermore I am not willing to let someone else decide my future.

Hence I am researching WLS in Mexico and my only concern is: if something goes wrong after I return to Ontario, will OHIP cover theses expenses?

Mary C.
on 1/12/16 11:50 am - Glovertown, Canada

Hi - we live in Newfoundland. My husband had VSG in Mexico in 2013. Canada  has Universal Health Care - and if you are eligible for OHIP now - there is no reason why they would not cover any surgery related problems. It was never a concern of ours. The only thing I would make sure of is that your primary care physician - or family doctor, or whoever looks after your day to day regular health - be aware that you are having surgery and be on board so that you can get your blood work checked post op every now and then. Anything worrisome that you figure requires a hospital visit- head to your local ER. Or any ER in Canada - they won't refuse you. The Health Care System in the US for the most part is self pay (I think) - unlike ours that is funded through our tax dollars. Therefore - you do hear stories of physicians not wanting to have anything to do with patients who are post bariatric surgery that run into problems. It's not a surgery they did and probably are not familiar with it, and the last thing they want to do is get mixed up in a problem they didn't create. Lawsuits etc etc. My understanding of health care in the US is that if you have no health care insurance and run into a problem - you are pretty much certain to end up at one of the PUBLIC Hospitals. They have to care for everyone. However - public hospitals in the US are not plentiful. In a life or death situation in the US - if you end up in ANY emergency room - they HAVE to see you and at least stabilize you if possible. But following that - if you have no health insurance and still need further care - it's off to a public hospital you go. I do stand to be corrected - if the process is different in the US from what I have said - PLEASE correct me. We are very lucky in Canada to have the health care that we do! Good luck!

leseratte
on 1/12/16 12:22 pm - Kingston, ON,, Canada

Thanks so much for your answering my question. I feel better now and am sure that I will get help in Canada if I need it!

What kind of support system (dietitian, fitness trainer, therapist etc)  did your husband have (other than you of course) after returning home?

I am a little worried of being alone.....

Mary C.
on 1/14/16 1:06 pm - Glovertown, Canada

No special support system. He was well versed by me - I had an RNY in 2008. He met with their dietitian during the pre-op visit the morning prior to surgery, as well as their psychologist. The processes vary with different surgeons and facilities from what I have read here over the years. My husband went to Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta, surgery was at Hospital Amerimed. Everything was top notch. There was a lady from Manitoba there at the same time who went down on her own - and I do know of several people who have gone on their own with no problems.

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/7/16 4:12 pm - Windsor, Canada

They will not send you back to Mexico....but you'll be treated by ER staff.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views