Where do I start? (Questions, help!)

Paiger66
on 11/13/15 1:23 pm

Thanks for providing me with some new questions to ask.  So helpful.

sleevedinseptember
on 10/21/15 9:26 am

Really, really excellent post. All very important things to consider.

zmdh39
on 10/22/15 4:02 pm

Thank you

Paiger66
on 11/24/15 10:10 am

This post was sooo helpful.  I am scheduled for a sleeve in Mexico on December 17.  I asked and received answers to almost all of these questions.

Here are a few things I would add:

1. My Mexico surgeon of choice only does an EKG and bloodwork before surgery.  I personally have a history of asthma, so with the help of my PCP, I scheduled a pulmonary work up (covered by my insurance).  I asked point blank if based on those results I would be cleared for surgery and if there would be any special concerns or instructions.  
  2. I also did an endoscopy because of an expected, large hiatel hernia.  I sent those films to the surgeon in advance.
  3. I also worry about the possibility of serious complications (requiring surgery) once I get home.  Because of this, I coughed up some extra cash (about $1000) for medical tourism insurance.  It covers 80% of any problems resulting from the surgery for 6 months - up to $50,000.  It seems a bit ridiculous, but I have had my fair share of experiences with "whatever can go wrong - will go wrong".
Sassy1115
on 11/4/15 10:17 pm

Hello,

Since you seem to have the same questions as I do, I'm hoping you have an update to post. I have been on the fence for a couple of months on who to pick, I need the bypass. Which procedure are you considering? Have you found a way to check the surgeons credentials?

zmdh39
on 11/6/15 8:46 pm

Checking the surgeons credentials really depends on what all you are trying to verify. Some things are easy to verify while others take a bit more leg work, but there are ways.

beccanderton
on 11/23/15 9:27 pm

Hi!! did you go for it? how was it???

TaylorSEA93
on 11/23/15 10:39 pm

Not yet! I am scheduled for February 8th of 2016 with Dr Cabrera!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views