Are you judged because you decided to go to Mexico for surgery?

TerryF9
on 8/20/15 11:27 pm

I have been told my decision to go to Mexico for my sleeve was irresponsible, selfish and outright dangerous. When I talk about my surgery now, I try to leave the Mexico part out. I thought I would be judged by the fact that I was sleeved not because I found a place where I could actually afford it. Please share your experience with me. 

Simone13
on 8/23/15 5:28 pm

I was judged by everyone including family and friends.  I had about 5 people who actually didn't judge me.  I did an abundant amount of research prior to having my surgery in Juarez, Mexico. So I had no worries.  I had my surgery July 18, 2015 and I've lost 30 pounds and zero complications.  Now all those friends and family are supportive and happy for me.  Do what you feel is right for YOU!!!!  Don't listen to the negative backlash and comments.  Now all I say to those who tries to discourage me is....."Told You So".  I took pictures and videos of the hospital and the surrounding areas to show everyone when I returned home.  Try to surround yourself with positive supportive people right now!

Sandra F.
on 8/25/15 5:53 am

I usually leave Mexico out of the conversation these days too because when I tell people I had my sleeve done in Mexico, they look at me like I have 3 heads or something.  So I just say that I had the sleeve and describe what that is to people that don't know.  My parents were adamant that they did not want me to do the surgery in Mexico and I actually delayed by several years because my mom was so adamant, but I finally decided that I had to do what is right for me and I have never been happier in my life, so I must have done something right.  I could not have afforded the surgery otherwise, so this was the best decision for me and everyone is entitled to make the best decision for themselves.

Suzannne
on 8/29/15 6:19 am

I could not care less if people judge me for my decision to go to Mexico. I knew what I was doing and have zero regrets. I am doing great.

Suzanne

Cj7Coy
on 9/4/15 4:14 pm

I had surgery in Mexico, Aug. 6, 2015 by Dr Ungson.  I think I had the best surgery & care I could have asked for.  I didn't tell any of my family except for my children & husband, whom I live with. I did tell friends afterwards & they were ok with it which surprised me but I knew my family would have flipped out so I didn't tell them. I also don't live near them so it has been easy to keep it from them.

I'm having trouble finding a Bariatric surgeon that will do any post op care with me. Did anyone else have trouble finding a Bariatric surgeon to do post op?

Any suggestions? I live in York, Pa.

Eggface
on 9/20/15 1:49 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Yes... perhaps less than other areas of the country though. I live in Southern California so it's not uncommon for people to cross the border for medical treatment, dentists, etc. but yeah I get wide eyed looks from time to time... but it's been 9 years, returned twice for plastics, maintaining my weightloss and so proof of the pudding shall we say. 

There are good & bad Dr's and programs in all countries... research! and ask patients Q's... watch message boards for "real patients" and message them and read their past posts. 

After care is very important so be sure you find someone to do your bariatric lab work, find a dietitian, support groups, work on the emotional aspects (IMHO the most important work we do post-op is above the neck) don't wing this. WLS is not cut and done.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

stacy T.
on 10/5/15 2:09 pm - San Francisco, CA

My Sister went to TJ, to Limarp for her VGS, and a year later my mother and brother in law followed and had the sleeve done.

Folks in Sacramento, where they live, went all kinds of wild eyed crazy about "Going to MEXICO???!!!"

She had a list of facts about the clinic and the surgeon and the staff and their qualifications to calm concerned friends. Some people just were going to be hysterical about it no matter what, but the phrase "residency at the Mayo clinic" and "ICE Certification" calms most of them down pretty quick.

Put together a punch list of your Dr's qualifications and it will help all the concerned friends and family.

pcsmith
on 11/12/15 11:06 am
with

I have only told a few people and they seem alarmed. It feels pretty dismal to go without any support or backup. I researched quite carefully. I hope, over time, they will accept it. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views