Is Tijuana scary?

I_am_so_over_this
on 7/17/15 4:31 pm

Hi Y'all!! I am considering surgery in Tijuana and my friends and family are concerned that the town will not be safe. The town does have quite a reputation, but I tend to think people are overreacting. What were your experiences? I had an emergency band removal about two months ago. My current insurance does not cover bariatric services of any kind, so I'm on my own. I LOVED my band right up until the end and I simply refuse to get fat again. So, Mexico, here I come!!

Kiki52
on 7/18/15 3:32 pm

Hi I was sleeved in Tijuana on July 13 it was a good experience for me and my husband who went with me. My husband stayed in a hotel that he walked to and did some shopping and ate at the restaurants he really enjoyed it :)

Sandra F.
on 7/20/15 5:41 am

It's not that bad, although I don't know if I would walk around at night.  I had my sleeve done in October of last year. 

SMorash
on 7/20/15 9:42 am - Dartmouth, Canada
VSG on 05/25/15

I was sleeved in May, had absolutely no problem in the City.  

lola_janine
on 7/20/15 8:43 pm

I had mine done about a month and a half ago and I had the best time. I'm a young woman who traveled alone and I never had one worry. I had the surgery, made some new friends, and then went shopping. It was fabulous. The hotel was very safe and the drivers were super accommodating. 

Simone13
on 7/21/15 4:58 pm

I had my surgery July 18th in Juarez, Mexico and it was great!  Mall across the street along with all American Restaurants and Hotels.  I would do it all over again. My dad accompanied me but I would have felt safe had I gone alone.  

Suzannne
on 7/22/15 5:56 pm

I was sleeved in TJ on June 22nd. No problems what so ever. Everyone was very nice. I walked around town and went and got my hair colored after surgery. I recommend Dr Garcia. :-)

Suzanne

Y D.
on 7/23/15 8:58 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Its no problem ;) I've been there for 2 surgeries and it was a great experience both times.

SoHappywithmysleeve
on 8/8/15 7:58 am - Red Deer, Canada
with

I had my surgery in P.V. and in June I went to Tijuana with a friend who was having the sleeve with the same surgeon.  I hadn't been there since 1978 and was amazed how it was "cleaned" up.  We were in a nice hotel and Hospital Vida was a beautiful facility.  Do not be afraid to go to Tijuana...research your surgeon.  I highly recommend Dr.Alejandro Lopez with ALO BARIATRICS.  He is very skilled and his team is amazing. 

TerryF9
on 8/10/15 9:02 pm

I have to say it was a bit scary at first, more than scary, it was different. I live in California so we drove to San Diego and left our car at a parking place near the border, the driver picked us up there. Right when you cross the border into Tijuana, you see an area with a dry river and there are homeless people there, pretty depressing. Our driver explained that we were driving through the oldest and poor part of the city. Then the scenery changed and we arrived at the area where the hospital is located, very nice and close to the beach. The view from my hotel was beautiful. I now have family living in Tijuana and visit often, but my first impression was not that good, at least not until I arrived in the area where the hospital is. I tried to keep an open mind, not every city is as the one where one lives. I always felt safe but I didn't really go out to shop or walk around outside of the hospital. My daughter did and she loved every minute of it, she spent her day at the beach and shopping around, visiting her family members. I just walked and walked, trying to get rid of the gas after my surgery!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views