Does your insurance cover any vsg complications that occured in Mexico?

AngieLives
on 6/19/15 12:55 am - Kirkland, WA

Hi, I'm looking into having my vsg done in Mexico. My only concern really is whether or not my insurance would cover any complications that occurred as a result of the surgery...seeing that it isn't a surgery that was approved through the insurance company. Has anyone had any experiences with this, or have any idea how to find out this information? This is the only issue that is keeping my husband from being fully on board with my decision.  

Thanks!

Sandra F.
on 6/22/15 6:08 am

I had surgery in Mexico last October and this was my only huge concern.  Every insurance is different.  The only way you can find out is if you call and ask them, but I doubt they are going to be willing to pay if they don't cover the initial surgery.  I went ahead and did it anyway as this was a chance I was willing to take to be healthier.  Good luck to you.

AngieLives
on 6/22/15 3:35 pm - Kirkland, WA

Thanks. I'm feeling like it is worth the risk at this point as well. I'm 39, and my pcp is concerned that I have sleep apnea, which would be the first major weight related complication I've experienced, besides lots of joint pain. I saw one woman's video on Youtube who is looking into surgery in Mexico, and the clinic offers a separate insurance policy for exactly this. I think it's time for a leap of faith. Take care!

Sandra F.
on 6/23/15 6:20 am

Yes, a lot of doctors offer the complications insurance there so it is definitely something to look into.  I was 39 when I had the surgery, now 40, so we are almost the same age.  I just wish I had done this sooner.

AngieLives
on 6/24/15 5:04 pm - Kirkland, WA

Thanks! The complications insurance definitely sounds like the way to go. Can I ask where you had your surgery? I'm in the Seattle area, so, I'm thinking of having mine as close to the California border as possible to limit travel time. I've yet to read about anyone having a bad experience in Mexico, and it is really encouraging. I wish I had the surgery five years ago when I first started researching it. I'm trying to get my husband on board here. :)

Sandra F.
on 6/25/15 6:07 am

I had my surgery last October with Dr. Fernando Garcia, tijuanabariatrics.com.  I had a great experience.  I actually have been corresponding with someone else on here who just had surgery with him a few weeks ago and she is doing well.  She had surgery at CER hospital.  Back when I had the surgery, he was doing them at a different hospital.  If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

Sandra F.
on 6/25/15 6:11 am

Here is a link to his reviews.  I know another doctor's picture is at the top but the reviews are for Dr. Garcia.  The reason that I know this is because I read many reviews on here and other websites before my surgery to make sure there was nothing negative about him.  I'm not sure why ObesityHelp has screwed up his info.  There are unethical surgeons everywhere, so choose wisely.  Do lots of research!

Sandra F.
on 6/25/15 6:12 am

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/fernando-garcia/reviews

AngieLives
on 7/8/15 10:51 pm - Kirkland, WA

Sorry for the late reply.Thanks so much for the info. My husband and I decided to go through the insurance process first and have it done in the U.S. I was really pushing for Mexico, but I can appreciate why it makes sense to try and have it here. I have my initial consult next Tuesday, and I will have to complete a six month supervised diet. So, let the waiting game begin. In the meantime, I'm trying to get as healthy as possible.  I'm 5'6" and 297lbs. so I have some room for weight loss beforehand.

Thanks again.

MaronitaMay
on 6/25/15 7:23 am

Hi, Angie!  I can't say positively, however, I used to work for a health insurance carrier in MA and my employer would NOT pay for complications that occurred from surgery outside of the country that is NOT life and death (i.e. a heart attack, stroke, etc.).  Having said this, many U.S. health insurance carriers are beginning to approve out of country surgery IF approved ahead of time with them, as they know that many of the doctors are trained in the U.S. and they would have a considerable cost savings.  Contact your health insurance carrier member services department and ask to speak to the person who approves/denies such requests.

MaronitaMay

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views