Post-op care when returning home

HunterW
on 6/15/15 4:06 pm - Phoenix, AZ

I know that there are many people that consider Mexico safe and reading about the type of bariatric care many Mexican doctors offer, has given me a little more assurance about considering going to Mexico for surgery, but what about when I get home?

What happens in case I have a post-op complication? 

What would happen if I need prescriptions and I don't have a bariatric doctor here in the US?

hollykim
on 6/15/15 7:20 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 15, 2015 at 4:06 PM Pacific Time, HunterW wrote:

I know that there are many people that consider Mexico safe and reading about the type of bariatric care many Mexican doctors offer, has given me a little more assurance about considering going to Mexico for surgery, but what about when I get home?

What happens in case I have a post-op complication? 

What would happen if I need prescriptions and I don't have a bariatric doctor here in the US?

you would need to rely on your PCP for post op needs and should make sure he/she is agreeable before you have surgery in MX.

CdngirlinNC
on 6/16/15 8:20 am

I agree with Hollykim.  It's important to have a meeting with your primary care physician at home before you plan surgery in MX to make sure he/she is on board and will follow you when you return home after surgery with periodic blood work etc to ensure you're getting all your nutritional needs.  Build up your care team so you are in the best position to stay well and reach your goals post op.  Good luck!

VSG 07/07/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views