Not having a passport....my coordinator says I don't need one?

ujazzy27
on 6/13/15 6:10 am

I'm having surgery on June 24th and am nervous about reentering the States.  

My surgery is in Mexicali at the Mexicali Bariatric Center.

The coordinator said there's never been anyone detained without a passport as long as you bring your birth certificate and your driver's license.

Does it really help to show that I've applied for a passport? (I haven't yet).

Thanks so much.

Liz

Aperk
on 6/13/15 7:48 pm

I was told you must have a passport card or passport. You can probably expedite one so you can get it on time.

ujazzy27
on 6/13/15 8:30 pm

Thanks for that..........I'm wondering if anyone has already gone thru without a passport, and if so, what happened.

KentA
on 6/15/15 3:04 am, edited 6/15/15 3:09 am

Beginning in June 2009, all U.S. citizens returning to the United States by land or sea must present one of the following documents to gain entry:

• U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • enhanced driver's license (only offered in Michigan, New York, Vermont, and Washington)
  • NEXUS card
  • SENTRI card, or
  • FAST card.

A birth certificate or driver's license are no longer acceptable documents for reentering the US (which is why Tijuana has dried up as a weekend tourist destination, since the majority of day-trippers figure getting a passport isn't worth the trouble).  You won't have any trouble getting into Mexico (if traveling by land)- it's reentering the US that would be the problem.

The coordinator may very well be speaking the truth, in that they might bend the rules if they believe you to be a US citizen, but what if they don't?  Are you willing to take the chance of being detained at the border for not adhering to the law a couple of days after major surgery? 

I would point out the information on Mexicali Bariatric Center's own website:

We share with you the actual requirements asked by the U.S. Government through its different agencies (Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection -CBP-, Immigration and Naturalization Dept.). These policies are effective since June 1st, 2009 with no exceptions allowed.

Starting June 1, 2009…
• U.S. government implemented compliance with full requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative phases regarding land and sea. These proposed rules requires U.S. citizens entering the country via a sea or land port of entry to present a passport (booklet), passport card or other travel document counting with the approval of the DHS (Homeland Security).

I guarantee that showing them you have applied for a passport carries absolutely no weight. I agree that your best bet at this point is to pay the extra fee to get an expedited passport.  It will cost you, but you will have peace of mind.

Personally, I think it would be foolish and taking a HUGE chance by traveling to Mexico without a passport.

Best of luck!

lookinglass
on 6/17/15 6:22 pm - Atlanta, GA

I just returned from Mexico, you've got to have a passport, especially returning to the US. You can expedite your passport.

ujazzy27
on 7/1/15 7:18 am

Well, I passed through customs with no problem.  I had my certified birth certificate, driver's license and receits that I had applied for a passport.  Sailed right through.  My driver from Mexicali Bariatric Center used the 'medical line' at the border.  I didn't even have to get out of the car....just took 2 minutes.  What a relief!   I'm sure there are exceptions and I just 'lucked out', but I'm so glad I made it through.  It was a real concern and I'm glad it's over!!!   Thanks for all the helpful posts!

Karla Phoenix
on 7/1/15 7:57 pm

I know someone who went on a cruise in 2012 with just their birth certificate and photo ID. This person had been DENIED a passport due to owing child support. I saw the denial letter. I don't know if the person at the cruise terminal was lax that let him through or if it this new rule is not followed closely all the way around. This person was my ex, what a loser. Ha!

If I were you, I wouldn't take that chance. I applied for a passport card. It's cheaper than a passport book. I didn't expedite it and it came in the mail in 3 weeks. Good luck!!!

Sleeved: 12/17/15

HW: 284 lbs.     SW: 266 lbs.

CW: 251 lbs.   GW: 140 lbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?