feedback on travel from Canada to VLS with DR Ponce

SMorash
on 5/6/15 5:35 am - Dartmouth, Canada
VSG on 05/25/15

I am almost ready to book my flights for surgery with Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico.  I will be travelling by myself and am a little concerned about the travel back to eastern Canada 4 days later.  The flight will be approximately 10 hours travel time, any suggestions?  As well any feedback on this Doctor

Sandra F.
on 5/7/15 5:47 am

I live in eastern US, so my flight was long as well, but not quite as long as yours.  Traveling was fine.  The only thing was that I was extremely weak and tired, but not in any pain.  My surgeon was Fernando Garcia, so I can't comment on yours.

SMorash
on 5/7/15 5:54 am - Dartmouth, Canada
VSG on 05/25/15

Thanks so much, I am booked for the 25th of May. I hear about stockings and abdomidal banding. Did you use any othat?

Sandra F.
on 5/7/15 3:36 pm

I had to wear compression stockings at the hospital and hotel and they suck!  But you will get through it.  One suggestion that my coordinator gave me--chicken granules.  It is near impossible to find chicken broth in the airport and you can't carry on liquids so these mix nicely with water to create broth.  

SMorash
on 5/8/15 6:59 pm - Dartmouth, Canada
VSG on 05/25/15

Thanks so much I have heard this little trick! thanks for sharing.

Mary C.
on 5/8/15 2:59 pm - Glovertown, Canada

Hi there. Hubby had VSG in Puerto Vallarta in  May 2013. We live in Newfoundland. I went with him. Our flights back had us overnight in Newark. Our first flight from PV to Newark was around 6 hrs duration. The biggest thing was finding things in the airport and on board the aircraft that hubby could eat. So - chicken broth packets - or whatever broth you prefer, and that sort of thing - great advice. I would prepare a ziplock bag of that type of thing before you go - and just have it there all ready for your trip home. Just to make it as easy as possible for you. Pack light - we didn't - but from the time we left NL to the time we got home - we were actually away from our house 10 days - with overnights and travel time to get to St. John's which is where we flew from. But that wasn't a problem - as I was able to lift suitcases etc. You really don't need a lot of stuff - personal items - a book or e reader etc and a few comfy outfits, PJ's etc. The flight itself was no problem for hubby - just get up and move around a bit every hour at least. If your surgeon recommends compression stockings or a binder - do that. Make sure to have your pain meds and a few extra bandages in your carry on in case you need them. Most of all PACK LIGHT. You will be the the one moving that suitcase/carry on. So be kind to yourself! Best of luck to you! 

SMorash
on 5/8/15 6:58 pm - Dartmouth, Canada
VSG on 05/25/15

Thanks so much some great advice here thank you.  I am really getting excited and just want to get as much information as I can before I come.  Thank you so much.

its-killen-me
on 5/22/15 3:42 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

Dr. Ponce is Awesome.  I had my DS surgery with him in 2012.  If Trish is your coordinator you made the right choice.  She has a facebook page to keep in touch with her after surgery.  https://www.facebook.com/TrishyLupz?fref=ts

The hospital is super clean and they look after you well.  I am sure I had better care there than I could have in Manitoba.  There was someone in my room at least once every 2 hours. Good luck on your surgery and have a safe trip.  

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views