Long time lurker...first time poster. Questions about RECOVERY

shefloats
on 2/17/15 10:38 am, edited 2/17/15 2:29 pm

Hi there!

So, I have been looking at my options for years now in terms of bariatric surgery.

I have picked my surgeon and picked my date.  I'm just waiting for the doctor to review my health survey and approve me before I pay my deposit.

While I know all about the logistics... I am really curious about recovery. I am getting a sleeve.  

What is the pain like?  How long did it last for you?  I have a fairly physical job that requires some lifting and being on my feet all day.  How much time should I take off work?

I understand that everyone is different and different folks recover differently.  I just want to be as prepared as possible.  Looking at going in May if I'm able to.

coop1977
on 2/18/15 5:22 am - Canada

Hi there!

Way to go on taking these steps!

I was sleeved 5 weeks ago .... I experienced some gas pains that caused some vomiting .... But it passed within 12 hours of surgery .... I was still sleepy from surgery so I would wake with pain, vomit and fall back asleep ..... So it wasn't too bad.

After the 12 hours ... It was smooth sailing!  You shouldn't lift anything heavy (over 20 lbs) for 6 weeks .... I was able to do my desk work after the first week .... 

Since you said your job is physical I would recommend 3 weeks off so you can rest and get your fluids in .... But if you are required to lift heavy things then you will need the 6 weeks off.

Good LUck!

Janet

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

Y D.
on 2/18/15 5:37 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

the first two days post op I felt really crummy, day 4 I felt more normal. I returned to my desk job in one week- and told no heavy lifting or working out (other than walking) for 6 weeks.

I haven't had much pain at all besides soreness for the first week or two post op, and low energy.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views