Getting serious about A Lighter Me... Seeking A Lighter Me patients for advice

DeathKSValley
on 2/10/15 12:12 pm - Baltimore, MD

Greetings, friends:

It's coming to that time where I need to make a decision about if I'm going to do this or not. I am approved for surgery through A Lighter Me, and I'm getting close to being able to pay for it. The reality of the situation is starting to sink in. I would getting major surgery in a foreign country. What is going to happen if there are serious complications that could impact my health for the rest of my life? I wanted to ask anyone who has used A Lighter Me a few questions. Some questions may be applicable to people who didn't necessarily go with ALM.

1. Has anyone had any complications? If you have a problem related to your surgery, do you talk with the doctors from A Lighter Me, or do you talk with a bariatric surgeon in your area... and will local bariatric surgeons even see you since you aren't one of their patients?

2. When did you receive information about the post-op diet? I haven't received any information about it, and will not put down any money until I see it. I'm wanting to know so I can plan ahead.

3. I'm really hoping to keep this private. I'm not planning on telling anyone in my family for the time being. I live on the other side of the country and talk to my family every other week or so. I'm kinda hoping I can slip away for a few days, get it taken care of, and getting back in-country as soon as possible. I don't mind explaining later if anyone asks, but I don't see the need to share my personal information with anyone pre-op.

4. Is it as scary as it sounds? Really? Most of the reviews make it sound much less scary than it seems to me now. Is it really true that people will get the surgery and then be up and walking a couple of hours later? It seems like a scary big deal, but it also doesn't seem like a big deal at all when I read reviews from all people who got surgery done in Mexico.

Okay. Thanks friends.

Defibvt
on 2/11/15 5:02 am

I am using A Lighter Me and am scheduled for March 2, 2015.  I am using Dr Elias Ortiz.  As far as a post op meal plan, I received an e-mail from Ronda, regarding post op meal planning.  I have the luxury of living across the street from my sister, who had the VSG in July of 2014.  I am already acutely aware of the expectations of the post op recovery and meal planning.  In choosing A Lighter Me, I evaluated not the program, but the surgeon and his surgical technique.  Dr Ortiz over sews his staples, which was something I felt to be important.  I have additionally read reviews from people who have used ALM and Dr Ortiz and feel confident in my choice.  

If you have a concern on post op diet plans, I would call Katy or any one of helpful patient coordinators.  She was more than helpful in providing me with the questions I felt where important.  

Having any surgery can be scary.  I had my gallbladder removed about 5 years ago and expect this surgery to not much different (regarding the gas discomfort post op).  I am also have been a nurse for 27 years, I work in an Intensive Care Unit, so many of my concerns were much more technical.

Finally, please look at his site and other sites, like bariatric pals and if that doesn't provide you with the answers you need, give the coordinator a call.   

Best of luck to you!

nurseangie_72
on 2/15/15 5:12 am - Corbin , KY

My insurance will not cover Bariatric surgery and my health is declining due to my weight. My doctor is on board with me having surgery but is it expensive to go to Mexico? 

Defibvt
on 2/15/15 6:33 am

My surgery cost is $4400 (Includes a one night stay pre-op, pre-op testing, the surgery, anesthesia and all 'normal' care post-op, 2 nights in the hospital, and 2 nights in a hotel post-op to continue my recovery.  My air fare from Texas is only $275 round trip... Additionally all transfers to and from the airport.   My insurance does not cover ANY Bariatric Surgery, so my choices were self pay in the States and pay $15K or more, or Mexico.  Although I have pick A Lighter Me as my program in Mexico, I feel I have done an extensive investigation on the surgeon and his technique, that is why I chose Dr Ortiz....   My sister had her VSG in July 2014 and I can attest that I have not had to jump through as many hoops that she had to jump through.   

I wish you all the best!

nurseangie_72
on 2/15/15 9:27 pm - Corbin , KY

Thank you

louielover
on 4/25/15 10:10 am

I'm looking into having VSG with Dr. Ortiz as well and am wondering what the scarring is like?  Is it noticeable?  I know that's the last thing to worry about, but I probably wouldn't be able to take more than a few days off of work so I'm hoping the pain and recovery isn't too terrible.  Have you been successful with the VSG?  Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/15 6:19 am

You should speak with Rhonda Shuter R.N. *****presents San Javier Hospital in Guadalajara , she is a tremendous Medical Faciltator for 3 Boutique state of the art medical hospitals,her contact info is [email protected] or her office # is 705 293-1500

www.sanjavier.com.mx/en

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views