thinking about going to Dr Kelly, which hospital is better? angeles or mi dictor?

freddie8_8
on 2/14/15 11:12 pm

I am signed up with Dr. Corvala at hospital angeles for june 23.   I'm also considering Dr. Nicolson and Dr Kim in Dallas.  I'm not getting support from my spouse about having the surgery in Mexico.  I'm in the process of trying to determine if Dr. Corvala's VSG technique is similar to Dr. Kim's inverted gastriac sleeve technique where there are three lines of staples, a suture over the staples, then inverting the suture/staple line into the stomach and then suturing again.  Apparenly that significantly reduces the chances of leaks and expansion down the road.   Hospital Angeles case coordinator is saying that only three days in the hospital is generally needed. they advertise 5 days hospital stay on their website and that is what I am insisting on as I would be there alone with no other help and I'm not sure much help I will get from local doctors in my area if they find out I had my surgery in mexico.  I would appreciate any posts from anyone that has recently had vsg surgery with dr. corvala on how your experience went.  He is the only Doctor in Mexico that I would consider for gastriac sleeve VSG surgery.  Otherwise I"m leaning towards Dr. Nicholson or Dr. kim in dallas as they have travel programs, are well respected, and the prices for the procedure in Dallas and texas in general are considerable cost than where i am from.  The fee I'm locked into at hospital angeles is 6500 and I know they just raised their fee to 7500.  dr. nicholson from dallas charges 12.200.  

Ready2LiveFree
on 2/14/15 11:39 pm, edited 2/14/15 11:39 pm

I'm booked with Dr. Corvala on April 13th, at Angeles keep me posted :-) the doctor did confirm to me they staple and then suture. When we talked last week. 

freddie8_8
on 2/15/15 12:43 am

I understand that they staple and then suture.  my specific question is do the staple three lines, then suture, then invert the suture line int the inside of the stomach, and then suture again.   that is what is referred to the inverted gastric sleeve techique that supposedly strengthens the suture line significanlty and significantly reduces the chance of leaks.  at least that is what is advertised on dr. kim's website and he advertises around dallas is inverted technique which i understand some other surgeons use. another technique is to put an absorable polymer membrane(apm) on the suture line to help strengthen it.  I am paranoid about springing a leak well after surgery as I would be thousands of miles from dr corvala when at home and i suspect i would get lots of bias from local health care poviders if they know I went to mexico even though dr corvala and hospital angeles are excellent. my perception is that the local providers what to protect their own turf even thouse they charge three times as much for vsg than dr corvala is charging me at 6500.  

i would really appreciate if you would keep me posted on the success of your surgery as the more feedback i get from people that is positive I think will help in my ultimate decision do go with dr. covala versus dr. kim or dr nicholson in dallas.  dr kim and dr nicholson charge half of what the dr's in my area charge for vsg.  for some reason in texas vsg costs much less than the northern part of the U.S> that is probably due to texas' proximity to the mexican border and the competition texas doctors then face from mexican doctors.  i guess it shows that a little competition is in fact healthy in the healthcare system to help keep costs down.   Of course my main concern by far is quality of healthcare and not cost.  dr corvales is the only bariatric doctor i would consider in mexico and hospital angeles is the only facility i would consider. I like the fact that it is a state of the art newer hospital and is only one mile south of the border and a 30 minute ride from the airport.  note that i do have some concern about flying home after vsg and if I"ll still be in any pain.  i'd  be interested in sleeved patients thoughts on that who traveled a signifcant distance for their surgery.   I would avoid the strip mall places in tijuana at all cost.  

absorbable polyme membrane(APM)

Ready2LiveFree
on 2/15/15 3:56 am

@Freddie..I 100% agree. Let's keep in touch and I'll keep you posted throughout my process. My mom is a general doctor so I'll be having her reach out to the Dr. As well. 

Ill PM you so we can keep in touch. If that's all right. 

freddie8_8
on 2/15/15 10:37 am

yes let's definitely keep in touch throughout this process. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by"PM" me as I'm not sure what you are referring to but let's keep in touch on this forum.  

freddie8_8
on 2/15/15 11:59 am

okay I know what you mean by "PM"...private message.  Yes let's stay in contact via private messages. This is going to be a big change in both of our lives hopefully for the better 

Gail L.
on 2/22/15 8:55 am

Hello freddie8_8, I fell ya on the support issue as I am not getting support from my daughters as well. All I hear is bad things from them when I tell them I want to go to Mexico to get the surgery. And you got to love the standard responses, why don't you change your diet or exercise when they already know I have 4 herniated disc's in my neck and another 4 in my lower back from a car accident years ago and it hurts to much to exercise, even more since I gained all of this weight.

I see you spoke about Dr. Kim in Dallas and I was wondering what he is charging for the gastric sleeve surgery? I have 2 doctors I really like in Mexico and that is Dr. Ramos Kelly and Dr. Ariel Ortiz and if I can find a doctor in the US at a good price to keep my daughters quiet I would go there if the doctor is as good. 

Angie2015
on 2/15/15 11:06 am

I went to the Florence hospital in Tijuana with Dr. Ismael Cabrera last week, other doctors work there too. It was a bit older but it was a great experience. $4250 plus flight. They renovated the upper levels and turned it into the hotel so u do not have to leave the building for recovery and there are doctors downstairs if you need them during your hotel stay. You spend two nights downstairs in the hospital. All the staff spoke English and were great. 

SharonNTX
on 5/21/15 9:05 am

HI Angie,

I have been looking for information on the accommodations at Florence Hospital. I am having my gastric sleeve done in June with Dr. Zalvaza and I have the option of staying in a Marriott or in the accommodations at the hospital but wanted to get some feedback first. If it was just me, I would just stay there, but my husband is coming with me and I want him to be comfortable too. 

I would appreciate your feedback :)

Polet14
on 2/16/15 5:23 am - Phonex, AZ

I had my surgery in MExicaly no tijuana, but my best advice is go to the Hospital, either way you will paying more than 50% less that you have to pay in US for surgery, and been in a full service hospital worth every penny!! in my experience the nursing care was awesome, the food, everything and I stay there for 3 days. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views