Too Old too sick too scared?

Getta_W
on 2/8/15 5:32 am

I am 56 years old and I am worried that I am too old to have a VGS performed.  I am a full blown insulin carrying diabetic with neuropathy in both my hands and feet.  I also have some coronary artery disease and I have had 2 stints inserted in my heart.  My health Insurance excludes bariatric surgery so I will have to go to Mexico to have the procedure performed.  I fear that I may be too old or too sick to have this surgery done especially in Mexico.   I am worried and I am wondering if anyone else has been  in a similar situation and had surgery in Mexico? How did it go?  Who did your surgery? Do you have any regrets?

hollykim
on 2/8/15 7:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 8, 2015 at 1:32 PM Pacific Time, Getta_W wrote:

I am 56 years old and I am worried that I am too old to have a VGS performed.  I am a full blown insulin carrying diabetic with neuropathy in both my hands and feet.  I also have some coronary artery disease and I have had 2 stints inserted in my heart.  My health Insurance excludes bariatric surgery so I will have to go to Mexico to have the procedure performed.  I fear that I may be too old or too sick to have this surgery done especially in Mexico.   I am worried and I am wondering if anyone else has been  in a similar situation and had surgery in Mexico? How did it go?  Who did your surgery? Do you have any regrets?

I had my vsg when I was 56,5 yrears ago. I was tyeii diabetic and I was fully prepared to die having this surgery. 

I knew life was not going to be worth living ,for me, if I didn't get my weight and diabetes under control. My pcp told me this as well. He said I would live 10 years less than someone without obesity and diabetes,and those 10 years would not be worth living.

I decided it would be my chance to. Beat the diabetes odds. If I died,on. The table or after,my family knew I was prepared for that possibility. 

I have lost 118 pounds and kept it off. My diabetes went I to remission the night of the morning of surgery,showing a perfectly normal blood sugar. 

I certainly didn't have the health issues you have,but honestly, I think I would still have gone to MX to have this chance. 

The surgery suites are just like every one I was ever in,in the us. Of course,there are some bad doctors there,just as there are bad doctors in the us. 

If I were in your shoes,with. Your health issues,the ONLY Mexican surgeon I ,personally would use,would be Dr. Ungson,in Mexicali. You can do a google search for his name and it will bring up his website. 

You can fill out. The questionnaire and/or send him an email with your particulArs. 

Good luck.

justmom
on 2/8/15 3:46 pm - Mesa, AZ

Having accompanied my daughter to Tijuana MX for her surgery only 4 weeks ago and experiencing her excellent care, I would strongly suggest you researching Dr. Ramos Kelly - I couldn't imagine his caring and personal bedside manner.  He has a wonderful reputation and success rate.  I have never met such a caring Doctor.

Getta_W
on 2/9/15 6:56 am

Thank you for your reassuring words. I know I am killing myself with all this weight.  I have tried every diet known to man and I have the piles of diet books to prove it.  I have lost 100 lbs. twice in my life and only ended up gaining it all back plus some.  You are right the temporary fear regarding the surgery could stop me from doing the best thing I could ever do for myself. Thanks again.

hollykim
on 2/9/15 11:12 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I have been nothing but pleased with'y WLS. I too lost weight many times,but could not keep it off.

i have lost 118# and have kept it off for 4-5 years. 

I was really more scared of what I knew diabetes was going to eventually do to me. Loss of my legs and inch at a time,kidneys burned out then dialysis and blindness from retinas being burned out.

i knew I did not want to live like that. Wls was the. Lesser of the two evils for me. 

Dr. Ungson is older than the doctor your other poster mentioned and therefore has more experience. 

tstowe
on 2/10/15 1:22 am

My wife and I went to the Mexicali Bariatric Center (they advertise on this site) and it was GREAT! I'd have it done again there in a heartbeat.

I'm only 45 but there was a woman who got there one day after we did who was diabetic and in her 60's.

I'd give them a call and see what they say.

coop1977
on 2/12/15 10:30 am - Canada

56 is not old!  Doing WLS will better your health!  The most popular regret is that people didn't do it sooner .... So do it at 56 .... Don't wait till your 60+

I used Dr.Kelly ... He is Amazing!  He will call you and you can ask all your questions and concerns.

Janet

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

suaz
on 2/17/15 7:32 pm
VSG on 10/25/14 with

I went to Dr. Guillermo Alvarez in Piedras Negras. He has done over 6,000 surgeries. He is amazing!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views