I chose a Doctor! " Lopez,". Wilhemly and Alverez were on my short list of...

alt1985
on 12/15/14 2:09 am

Hey! Thanks for the quick response! No. Those are actually my initials. I'm being paranoid about my username because I really don't plan on telling anyone about my surgery. :) I'm from the Tampa Bay area, Florida. 

I've told my husband, one friend knows who's had lap band surgery and I told my best friend and received a pretty negative response from her in regard to getting surgery done period.. and especially to getting it done in Mexico. That was disheartening and hurtful, but it just further solidifies my decision to keep it private.

I haven't yet decided on a surgeon or a hospital or anything really. I've watched a million YouTube videos (give or take a few thousand) and read a million stories from bariatric patients. So, I'm just beginning to navigate this process. 

I've tried so many diets. Paid thousands of dollars in personal training. Worked out (hardcore) for two hours every morning, five days per week, with very little results.. SO.. here I am. 

My stats: 5'7" 232 pounds

I once went to a weight loss doctor trying to get on prescription weight loss pills, but my EKG came up with a red flag. I never got it checked out by a cardiologist. (That was several years ago.) So... I'm thinking I need to look into getting another EKG now and having a cardiologist take a look at it before I schedule with a surgeon.

I'd love to get it done the week of spring break so my hubby can take his week's vacation to watch our two kids. And then I would travel alone for the surgery. But... I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I'm really trying to navigate this and feeling pretty alone. However, I will say that my husband is 110% supportive and my greatest advocate and will do anything for me. He's behind me and supports whatever I choose. He's just concerned about me going alone and I am too. 

I haven't seen any gnarly photos of the one incision "SPIDER" option. I'll have to check that out. I really don't want any nosy people to find any evidence of surgery scars on my stomach. 

Anyway... thank you so much. I'm very happy I joined this forum today and the support and knowledge here is incredible.

Nieya
on 1/25/15 2:38 am, edited 1/25/15 2:39 am

Hello Memelee504. I was reading your post and saw that you we're going for the SILS with Dr.  Lopez. I am considering the same thing but I read something about a BMI restriction with it. In reading your post I saw that we were both the same height and weigh ( I'm 5'5 284 as well) and wanted to know if they said anything to you about that. Also if you don't mind me asking what is the total price for the surgery? And is there an option to stay at Vida the whole time or does everyone go to the other hotel as well (I think I read something like that you said)? Congrats on your date! By the way your post are very positive and I appreciate that!

Y D.
on 12/9/14 1:06 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Oh wow, that's exciting! Well keep me posted, let's stay in touch since we'll probably have surgery around the same time. Can I ask your stats, and your goal?

I'm 27, 5'1", 210. My goal right now is to loose about 75-80 lbs, and be around 130-140. That's where I last remember feeling good, I don't care for being too thin, aesthetically or health wise. I gained weight rapidly after I was married 7 years ago, and I've been able to lose some but never keep it off for long :( I know compared to some people I don't have a lot to lose, but I want to nip it in the bud so I can think about starting a family in the next few years with less complications and more energy.

Memelee504
on 12/9/14 6:24 am - New Orleans, LA
with

We will surely stay in touch.. I'm between 279 and 284lbs I currently ware size 20-22 I think.. I haven't weighted myself in a few weeks nor have I purchased any clothing in a few months. I'm 5'5 feet tall and cute lol.. I'm 46 y/o and I love life. I have a very active life style you wouldn't believe it by my weight my saying is I never let grass go under my feet .. I stay on the go... Lol I don't want to be too skinny my goal is size 10-12 not a weight goal.  Good luck and as soon as I get my date I'll let you know I'm waiting on them to review my health screening form.  

Y D.
on 12/9/14 6:55 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Cool, who is your coordinator?

Memelee504
on 12/9/14 7:02 am - New Orleans, LA
with

Rika.. who do you have?

Dawn W.
on 12/13/14 11:20 pm

I am 5ft 1in & 200lbs plus just got denied from my insurance company in the states.

Y D.
on 12/14/14 1:02 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Hi dawn, glad you found the Mexico board!

Were practically the same height and weight, wow. I could have gotten mine paid for by insurance in the states, but it was going to take almost a year -_-

are you considering self paying out of the country? 

Dawn W.
on 12/14/14 1:12 am

My husband is against going out of country. My ons denied me ins in the states. I'm not sur if I'll appeal because it is an 180 day wait on an appeal

Memelee504
on 12/26/14 9:09 am - New Orleans, LA
with

My husband was against me going to MX too actually he though I was crazy. After showing him so many of the doctors video's on you tube and ppl who have had surgery in MX he said "well if that's what you want to do".. But I was going to do it if he would have said no. I just would have said I was away at a conference.. I know I'm crazy..lol check out doctor Alverez he has a lot of video on his website and a radio show. Also a lot of the doctors did fellowships and rotation in the United States and they list where in the US they have practice.. Wish you Luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views