considering Dr Alvarez for VSG...anyone use him?

Kaehu
on 10/18/14 4:07 pm

Hi...having a hard time deciding on which doctor to perform my VSG in January. Dr Alvarez at Piedras Negras or Dr Kelly in JlTijuana at Angeles? Which one would you choose, and why? Thanks!

llLou
on 10/18/14 10:04 pm - Halifax NS, Canada

I used Dr. Kelly in TJ. The best decision I've ever made! Message me with any questions. Linda

suaz
on 10/26/14 8:36 am
VSG on 10/25/14 with

Got sleeved yesterday. Dr. Alvarez is awesome. Does 2, maybe 3 surgeries a day at the most. His staff is wonderful, so caring. I had ny fears about going to Mexico for the surgery but it was better than any surgery I've had done in the U.S.  Would do it again in a heartbeat. 

Susie

Kaehu
on 10/29/14 8:10 am

Thank you Susie.  I appreciate your feedback! 

this_isforme
on 10/27/14 12:53 pm
with

I was considering Dr Kelly, Dr Aceves, or Dr Alvarez.  All three were on my radar because they all came with good patient feedback.  One of the girls here a complication with Dr Kelly and her wounds opening up.  But she had a more complicated surgery, a duodenal switch.  I also saw a little bit of confusion with which hospital he was working at, and his coordinators.  I didn't want that to get into Mexico and have anything change up on me.  I don't know if all that has been remedied since last year when I was researching information, but I just didn't want any surprises at the last minute.  That left me with Dr Aceves and Dr Alvarez.  I ended up choosing Dr Alvarez because of the wealth of information he has on the internet, and because he has a support group that he is involved with along with his patients.  Also a plus for me is that my children live in Texas and I got a chance to see them before my surgery.

I heard the sad news of Dr Aceves passing right before my surgery.  Truly sad, he will be missed.  I don't think you can go wrong with either doctor.  They are both skilled in performing the gastric sleeve.  When it came down the bottom line, I felt more comfortable choosing Dr. Alvarez.  

I also stayed in San Antonio a week after my surgery, just to make sure I was close enough to the doctor if I needed to be seen again (I felt more comfortable doing that too).  If you have any questions, send me a message. 

Kaehu
on 10/28/14 2:46 pm

Hi!  This is the most informative/real message I have yet received about which doctor to choose in Mexico.  I was originally going to go with Dr. Alvarez, but since he is farther away south of TX (I am in CA), and his price is substantially higher, I am probably going to go with Dr. Kelly.  It seems like ALL doctors on this forum get positive reviews...I have yet to see a bad review!  That troubles me, too.  Someone told me these types of websites are sponsored by different doctors in who have people screening their content...and omitting bad reviews.  I wonder if it is at all possible to find negative info on ANY bariatric doctor...wonder how you go about finding complaints/statistics/negative outcomes, etc.  Thanks again for your very genuine message!  I really appreciate your input and honesty!  

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views