DS OR RNY- PLEASE ADVICE

anil_manipal
on 8/3/14 12:23 pm

HELLO EVERY ONE

I AM 36 YRS OLD MALE. 5.7" AND WEIGHING 305 LB- BMI-47,HYPERTENSION FROM 5 YEARS, ON MEDICATION. NON DIABETIC AND CHOLESTEROL LEVELS ARE NORMAL, HAVE VARICOSE VEINS ON MY LEG. MY BOTH KNEES ARE BOTHERING LATELY. 

PLEASE ADVISE ME WITH MY STATS AND CONDITION, AM I SUITABLE FOR DS OR RNY? I AM HAVING HARD TIME TO DECIDE.

ALSO, I LIVE IN TORONTO, CANADA, CURRENTLY RNY IS COVERED BY GOVERNMENT, BUT WAITING PERIOD IS OVER A YEAR, WHICH COULD CHANGE MY WHOLE LIFE IF I COULD GO TO MEXICO, SO PLEASE ADVISE OF GOING TO MEXICO AND HOW MUCH DOES IT COST FOR RNY OR DS.

I HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING DR.LOPEZ, SO IF ANY ONE HAD SURGERY DONE WITH HIM, PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH HIM, WHAT PROCEDURE YOU HAVE GONE UNDER, AND ANY THING THAT I NEED TO KNOW. 

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR RESPONSES

THANK YOU

ANIL

Spencerella
on 8/6/14 4:00 am, edited 8/6/14 4:10 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Sounds like you would be suitable for both. It's really about personal choice.  Not to suggest that this is the right option, but I'm curious as to why you have not included VSG in your choices?

Regarding Dr Lopez, I've heard about 3 bad experiences recently with him, at least one of which involved a life threatening complication.   Undoubtedly, you will hear of many good experiences with him for sure, but for me, 3 sets of surgical complications that I know of in recent months (and a very 'hands off' response by Dr Lopez in each case) is way too many.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

angel720
on 8/12/14 3:17 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

Not having a vetted surgeon for either of those procedures is very risky in my opinion. For any procedure really but especially the more invasive ones. Do more  research on your surgeon,  we are  all worth the extra money to have a more experienced surgeon.  I personally choose the sleeve  because I think that at this point it is a better option for me but if I were  deciding on a malabsorbic procedure I would go of the DS.  Long term stats for keeping the weight off are better and  there is no stoma to stretch over time which can make you regain.  The Ds forum is a good place to ask this question regardless of where you will have surgery done.  

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 430 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 622 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1208 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1834 views